ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 15:23:39 -0400
At 12:49 PM 6/23/97 EDT, Wayne Smith wrote:
>Bull.  Tentative schedules have been around forever.  Heck, I have one
>dated this spring.  FoMH *published* one this spring.  Perhaps the new
>SID has trouble measuring the good such a tentative schedule does
>compared to not having one.  Selling tickets without giving us a look at
>the tentative schedule is unprofessional, IMHO.

FYI.. Matt Bourque was still SID when ticket information was prepared and
sent, Joe Roberts was just named SID Friday.

>I hope so.  The men's team has had fabulous help from large benefactors
>and FoMH.  I hope the women's team can make their way to equal
>opportunities and facilities, but where will the funding come from?

Good question.  I would imagine that it will (must) come from private
benefactors or it will have to come at the expense of some men's programs.
Maine's Title IX compliance is improving but not at the point where you can
cut women's hockey if it doesn't materialize.

>At one time FoMH had 2-3,000 members.  Anyone care to venture why that
>was and what it will take to regain the support.  This and my previous
>post form my answer ... what do you all think?

Lack of good public relations from FoMH in my opinion.

Remember, FoMH took a beating during the NCAA investigation.  Boosters were
kicked out and other booster problems arose.  However, I haven't exactly
seen a large scale campaign to correct this image and it isn't like I am
not around Maine hockey enough to see it.   :-)

I also still don't think it has gotten out to the people what FoMH is and
the purposes it serves, not to mention what the advantages are aside from a
cool newsletter.  Though in many ways the newsletter itself is worth the
money.

Let's not forget that excitement in Maine hockey has fallen since 1993.
There have been some real good moments and anyone who has attended games
will tell you that it is still just exciting, but two years straight with
no chance at an NCAA title will slow any booster organization and couple
that with the agony of the NCAA investigation and I think you have a big
part of your answer.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])