EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kate Cone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:56:57 -0500
DV:

Yes, Richard Kennedy in the 1994 Cummings biography Dreams in the Mirror
spends much time on the Greek influence. In fact C majored in Greek at
Harvard and was mentored by a prof of Greek while there.

Frost also studied at Harvard, but much earlier than Cummings. But
coincidentally at the time Cummings' father was a professor there. And
Frost, too, was "into" Greek.

I feel at such a loss in this regard. I took 3 years of Latin and many years
of French, but much of the latter was repetitive, so I'm not advanced in
languages at all.

Thanks for the link -- I'll check it out.

I find it fascinating that both Frost & Cummings were on the poets'
"circuit," reading from their poetry to SRO crowds in their late years. Many
of those "fans" like both poets. Yet the poets themselves seemed to hold the
other in disdain (there's that word again). Cummings said of "Stopping by
Woods...," "It's this side of platitude." Even Cummings was unable or
unwilling to see the depth of Frost's poetry, or envied the wealth Frost
accumulated by his writing, which C failed to do.