ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 23:43:21 -0500
> Great 6-3 win for the Black Bears tonight in a game marred by
> an injury to UNH starting goalie Michael Ayers (gash on the wrist
> I believe) in a nasty first period. Maine played a more disciplined
> game in the second and third, while cashing in on the offensive
> opportunities. All three UNH goals were beauties, but not enough
> to beat the Black Bears.

I think the injury occured in the second period.

I only listened to the game, so I can't comment personally on whether UNH
was really as undisiplined as the radio made it seem.  Certainly giving
Maine 11 power plays is not disiplined, but with Conrad Heche as the referee
it is hard to say!! (Ask Blaise MacDonald)  Maine scored on 4 of 11 power
plays, while holding UNH scoreless in 2 power play attempts, which is quite
simply the #1 reason the Black Bears got the win.

> Well wishes to Ayers, hoping the injury is not serious; and looking
> for another great battle tomorrow night!

Local news in Maine said that Ayers had his arm stepped on during an
altercation and had a tendon severed in his arm.  No word on how long he
might be out, but that sounds rather serious to me.  Best wishes to Ayers
for a quick recovery!

Ayers was second on the UNH depth chart according to the Maine radio guys
and the first string goalie (Matt Carney) is not quite ready to return from
injury.  UNH may have to go with third-stringer Tim Collins for a few games.
Collins played 9 minutes this season before entering the game in relief
Friday.

I expect that Collins and UNH will both be better on Saturday in the rematch
in Orono.  A Maine win moves them into a tie for first-place in Hockey East
and will give them the season series versus the Wildcats.

-Deron