From:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:11:36 -0500
Sara wrote in part 2/27:

"I think you should cheer for your own team and encourage them, not
ridicule the opposition."

Benjamin wrote in part the same day:

"Cornell fans leave it on the ice"

I think you have to know that the Cornell fans do it all in good
spirits.  While the chant like "its all your fault" seem mean to the goalie
everyone knows that the shot was often perfect.  We don't see many give
aways and the empty net also gets "its all your fault".  There is a playful
spirt to it all and a fun atmosphere that is not obvious until you sit in
the stands with them.  At the ECAC's I sat with Cornell students instead of
the faculty & staff I usually sit with in Lynah and I was very
impressed.  The kids were involved in the game, knowledgeable and
supportive even when Cornell lost in overtime.  The only bad behavior I saw
all weekend was when a small group of Harvard students (probably drunk)
came into the Cornell section during a period break and tried to start a
fight.  I was amazed that no one took the bait and eventually the rink
security hauled them away.

This brings up a side note that Cornell hockey fans seem to come to the
games sober to watch the game.  In some places the Saturday night hockey
game is just one event to look in on while making the social rounds that
may include drinking.

Sara your point is well taken but just remember that it is not personal it
is just a group ritual.  Every school gets the "safety school" chant
including Harvard and every goalie gets the "its all your fault" even All
Americans and the fans know it is just in fun.   I have heard the very
similar chants from other fans where the intent was to demean or
worse.  You may need to look at the faces and note the tone of voice to
tell the difference.

Steve