From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:34:38 -0500
I look at these numbers are aghast.  At UNH, hockey is the only sport that
turns a profit.  The football team (1-AA) draws about 4-5,000 a game, has no
TV and runs a deficit of $1-2 mil per year.  The men's basketball team
hasn't won 10 games in at least five years and are now relegated to playing
their games in the old gym because it costs too much to have them play in
the Whittemore Center.

Despite all this, UNH is able to field more varsity teams than a place like
Michigan (23-19, I think) and, thank god, is able to support a nationally
competitive D-1 hockey program, men and women.  It must be good old Yankee
ingenuity.

Greg Ambrose