EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:25:22 -0400
In Mauberley,  the rampant mercantilism of the 20th c has turned the old
matrix, the foundation of classical western thought --

Apollonian/sky-sun-dry/reason-order-measure-permanence
vs
Dionysian/earth-vine-wet/irrationality-chaos-flowing-mutability.

upside down: all things are a flowing ... but a tawdry cheapness shall
outlast our days. 'Tawdry cheapness' in the stead of the Apollonian. To
kalon is decreed in the marketplace.  And upon this classical template is
overlaid the Masculine/Feminine opposition, the mythic orientation of much
medieval European romance and knight errantry, to which Pound alludes in an
appropriately crass and ugly manner: 'for an old bitch gone in the teeth'.

So neither the classical nor the romantic survives. The western ying/yang
is replaced by the cheap thing.

Tim Romano