EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Korg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:08:08 -0800
I'm late getting into this, but a few plain messages for Garrick Davis
that a poetry editor should know.
        1) Coherence. The last Cantos admit that it does not cohere. Pound
did not believe in "major form." The Cantos were cumulative, composed
along the lines of Finnegans Wake.
        2) Yes, they might be regarded as a series of separate poems,
like, let's say, Yeats' successive volumes. A kind of journal. Pound wrote
no other verse for fifty years or more -- everything went into the
Cantos, no matter what it was.
        3) I am not the first to observe that the Cantos demand reader
participation, something like Barthes' writerly text. More than usual, no
doubt,but many find this a very productive approach -- reading the
sources, boning up on mythology, etc.
        4) To the reading assignments given Mr. Davis, I would add to Dan
Pearlman's book Kenner's Pound Era, Flory's Ezra Pound and the Cantos and
Michael Alexander's Poetic Achievement of Ezra Pound. And this could go on
at some length.
        5) We've heard a lot of call for diversity. Pound's diversity is
not what is meant, of course, but as has been pointed out, he has built
brides to unknown shores.
        Finally, to support the call for useful criticism, I have not had
many replies to my query about the "Pull down thy vanity" passage.