EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:47:13 -0500
Garrick,
I'm hardly going to take the time to present a summary of my entire
book on the Cantos to help straighten you out.  My suggestion is
a guide for your further enlightenment' in other words, do the homework
required rather than taking the easy way out and dismissing
everyone's responses with cheap ad hominem smears.
==DP

At 06:31 PM 12/21/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Pound Listmembers,
>
>Thirty-odd responses after my initial letter ("Incoherence of the Cantos"), I
>would again request considered, thoughtful responses to my questions--since I
>have yet to receive any.
>
>The name-calling, so-called "flaming" mail, and curses are not what I find
>upsetting--writers have always attracted their fair share of cranks, and
>Pound has always attracted more than most--but the chopped logic, sloppy
>definitions, and inadequate proofs of the supposedly reasoned and "critical"
>letters I received are truly disheartening. What troubles me is the number of
>members on this list who seem wholly unfamiliar with the rudiments of logic
>and intelligent debate. Never have I encountered so many questions begged, so
>many assertions substituted for proof, so many denials supplied instead of
>demonstration.
>
>I do appreciate Messrs. Pearlman, Davis, Parcelli, Bray, and Springate for
>their attempts--but their responses seemed extremely fragmentary, obscure and
>short--in short, attempts. I also found a number of their positions
>untenable.
>
>For example, Mr. Parcelli writes: "I just came back from having dinner with
>the Modernist critique, Brad Haas. During the course of the meal I related
>your email concerning the lack of self-sufficiency in much of Pound; in
>essence that the Cantos do not achieve aesthetic homeostasis. Of course,
>questions of self-sufficiency depend more on the reader/critic/scholar than
>on the writer. A poet may write to generate response, but that response is
>only sustained if there is something there to sustain it. However, this is a
>too large and amorphous subject for an email."
>
>The reader will note that Mr. Parcelli's critical vocabulary is slippery:
>that is, it changes without notification. Thus, aesthetic homeostasis (Mr.
>Gancie's gloss of my "formal incoherence" of the Cantos) becomes
>"self-sufficiency" in the second sentence. Self-sufficiency, we are then
>told, is up to us (the reader) and not the writer. Followed closely, this
>would seem to indicate that readers are responsible for the homeostasis or
>form of the poem---which is, of course, nonsense. Mr. Parcelli probably means
>(or intended to mean) that readers are responsible for the interpretation of
>the poem--a questionable assertion as well--but then I'm guessing. I wish
>merely to note that his critical response has itself resisted form and
>definition, and remained incoherent.
>
>As an example of incomplete analysis, Mr. Bray offered: "While no easy
>theme-soundbite manifests itself, I certainly find that the Cantos read well
>from end-to-end, unlike most collections of poetry where one wanders and
>grazes.  I take this as empirical evidence that there is a unity operating at
>some level here." Mr. Bray does not, however, provide a suggestion as to what
> [...]

Dan Pearlman's home page:
http://pages.zdnet.com/danpearl/danpearlman/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN IN THE WORLD AND OTHER
MISFITS, may be ordered online at http://www.aardwolfpress.com/
"Perfectly-crafted gems": Jack Dann, Nebula & World Fantasy Award winner

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

OFFICE:
Department of English
University of Rhode Island