EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
derek hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 15:14:41 PDT
Imagine Pound and Shakespeare to be two masters of English Poetry, 500 years
apart.  What was Pound's attitude to Shakespeare? And why? Pound looked at
every other language, used and abused it, but steered clear of English.
Why?  I know there are bits in the later Cantos where he refers to
Shakespeare and Chaucer , but Pound doesn't really tackle Shakespeare or
English. Is it the American heritage ( yes of course it is) Is it because no
one, even Ezra, can compete (my view) ?

Degsey