EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kate Cone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:59:29 -0500
Charles:

Thanks! You've articulated something that has been niggling at me, but that
I couldn't get out -- that obviously Pound saw talent in many poets and
writers who appear to be quite different from each other. I'd love to get
Hemingway in here somehow, but I don't think I'm going to have time or space
for purposes of this thesis. Perhaps my dissertation? If anyone knows of
Pound's articulating somewhere all this, please let me know!
I think that Pound's allegiance to certain artists shows something about the
times, and that is an area where I need a lot of help. Was it the ex-pat
feeling? Were these writers he was helping voicing despair and disgust with
America that Pound resonated with? I'm trying to place this into a
historical context, too.

Yes -- Frost's and Cummings' distance -- we had a row about Mending Wall in
class. I said that on the surface the farmer (Frost) thought his neighbor
was inferior for wanting to put up that damn wall every spring. But he also
wanted to understand the "why" of it, and because he was an outsider wanting
"in," as Frost was for the 10 years he was the Derry, NH chicken farmer, he
masks his aloneness with that "urban" disdain.

As for C & F not getting framed -- I think modern critics (those after the
late 1950s, when both were still alive), don't see their poetry as at all
alike, or coming from the same influences. That was my big "why." Why am I
seeing this and no one else?

Frost's biographer Jay Parini told me, "I am ignorant of cummings (sic), but
enjoy reading him." The only person who put them together, but not at
length, is Norman Friedman, who wrote in 1959 E.E. Cummings, the Art of his
Poetry. Happily, Norman is still alive and kicking and we're meeting in NYC
next month to hash this all out. He agrees with me, especially in regard to
the nature poetry.

And it doesn't bother me that others don't share my love for Cummings and
Frost. As my mother once said, "if we were all alike, it would be a boring
world."

Kate