EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Stephen Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:30:50 +0200
He is likely also to have dilated on the baneful influence of The Great Arms Swindle*, the need to protect the US's satellite state in the M.E. -
Israel (and I'm a supporter of Israel's right to exist: I believe peace is possible in that region), the need to divert the public's attention from the US's economic plight; but, yes, oil is the main aim. The world runs on oil. Is it strange that the most industrialised nation in the world wants to control oil supplies? History says it would be strange if it DIDN'T!
* The Great Arms Swindle. It works something like this: Billions of bucks flow from taxpayers into the bank accounts of arms moguls with the greatest of ease, sustaining an important sector of the economy while gratifying a huge vested interest (many US politicians have private connections with the arms industry). Hence the need for the State Dept. to constantly invoke 'devil' enemies like Hussein (a thug, but one whose neighbours are not even afraid of anymore, now that he doesn't have western support), bin Laden, USSR, Gaddafi, Ayatollah Khomeni to frighten the US public till they beg for even greater defense spending. Also, billions more of taxpayers bucks flows in 'aid' to wealthy Israel which is spent largely on -get this! -US MANUFACTURED ARMAMENTS! For facts and figures, see zmag.org (And this is not meant to give ammunition to despicable anti-semites. Indeed, some of the most effective opponents of Zionism -pre-eminently Chomsky, but there are many- are Jewish.)
My main fear -perhaps it would have been Pound's too- is the huge risk of this war destabilising the Islamic world, leading to catastrophe. I mean, whose finger would you rather on a nuclear trigger? Gen. Musharaff's (bad enough) or an Islamic fundamentalist's?
And if China doesn't consider this their best ever opportunity to invade Taiwan...The consequences of war are unpredictable...

May the Goddess smile on you!
For sites devoted to Hellenic worship, see
http://www.TempleAphrodite.net
http://forums.delphiforums.com/greekpagan/start
http://www.geocities.com/athens/parthenon/6670/