EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Grace Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:36:21 -0500
Chris:
   Thank you for your insight into teaching Pound to undergraduates.  I had a
terrible problem in one of my introductory classes this semester with Eliot, and I
must admit that I gave up trying.  In the other class, I had great luck with Yeats
("The Wild Swans at Coole" and "Adam's Curse"), Eliot's "Prufrock", and Pound's
"Mauberley" because of a wonderful discussion about the difficulty of writing
poetry and of feelings of futility/the overwhelming nature of the Modern world,
which my students were really able to relate to.  I guess there is similarity in
the feelings now and a hundred years ago as far as technology and what it means to
the common man and how any artist can create something meaningful in the midst of
all the superficiality
    The translations are good for undergraduates, as you say, and "Ballad of the
Goodly Fere" gets a little interest, I have found as well.
    Have a Merry Christmas.  I am going to Les Deux Magots to write poetry and
drink coffee.  (I don't care if I am a ridiculous American tourist!)
     -Grace Davis