ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Scott Dority <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:23:18 -0500
        Mr Wollstadt observes: "But the team's lack of intensity was matched by
that of the fans."

        jon writes: "Some button needs to be pushed. Who knows which or  what
button!."

        I feel these are both excellent points that are somewhat related. Where
else in college hockey can you attend a game and have it as quiet as it is
at Alfond  (unless Maine has just scored)?  The button jon refers to just
may be the hostile environment Maine's House used to be. The team needs to
feel invicible at home. I'll argue they haven't felt that way since '93.
It's like people are waiting for Paul, Jimmy and the twins to step on the
ice. The "big city" teams come in here and throw our guys all over the
boards, certainly not frightened but the "quilting atmosphere". Alfond
waits for the bears to score to get loud and it needs to be the other way
around. Given the choice, where would a kid want to play: Orono or Durham?
I don't think we need better players, we need fresh season ticket holders.