ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 07:28:44 EST
Deron wrote, in part..
>One-half of the league's top tandem, Morrison (a product of Phillips Ex
>eter
>Academy) has posted remarkably sharp numbers to open the year. Relieving
>Matt Yeats at the Ice Breaker Tournament, he made his first start at Nort
>Dakota, calmly registering 46 saves to allow the Bears to cruise to a 5-1
>win for a two-game split on the road.

Morrison was in goal for U Maine Saturday against 4-0 U Mass Lowell.
Viewers might fault Mike for allowing a slapper from near the blue line
and an "empty net" goal when he failed to win a race to the puck near
the blue line, but I thought he otherwise played very well and was an
excellent choice to start Maine's only game of the week.  It will be
interesting to see the goalie selection this week as BU and Sacred Heart
are hosted Friday at 7 and Sunday at 4 pm.  The BU game, as you all
know, is very important and should be a good battle, whereas the Sacred
Heart contest really doesn't matter, except perhaps for MAAC bragging
rights.

By the way, U Maine won Saturday 6-3 with Tom Reimann (hat trick, with
an ENG) and Niko Dimitrakos (3 assists) leading the offense, and with
fine performances from many players, including several first-year
players.

Special kudos to the great student turnout.  U Maine gave out hundreds
of tee shirts to the students, but the students just kept pouring in
long after the shirts appeared to be gone.  Very impressive ...  and
definitely a fun night all around.

cheers, wayne