EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Margaret Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 22:48:39 +0000
Dear Poundians,
I'm sending this late-breaking news for our concert of EP's music,
taken from the program insert:
Excerpts from the third opera will be performed Saturday morning,
March 10th at the panel discussion 11-12:30 (free to the public) at
George Coates Performance Works Theater, 110 McAllister (Civic
Center Bart, near the SF Public Library). Panelists include Hugh
Witemeyer, Michael Andre Bernstein, Other Minds director Charles
Amirkhanian and Nathan Rubin, Bob Hughes and myself. The concert on
March 9th features some terrific vocalists: David Cox, baritone,
Tammy Jenkins, soprano, and Michael Bannett, boy soprano (Pound's
preference for the "Perch'io non spero" ballata of Cavalcanti. Group
ticket sales of 20% discount are being extended to groups of 5 or
more. For more information, visit
www.otherminds.org
Hope to see some of you there!
Margaret Fisher

Other Minds Festival 7   March 2001,
Cowell Theater, Fort Mason
San Francisco

“Collis O Heliconii”
by Ezra Pound
(1932)

David Varnum, bass
Nathan Rubin, violin
Robert Hughes, bassoon

Program addition for Saturday, March 10, 2001: We are delighted to
present as part of our panel discussion an historic first
performance of excerpts from Ezra Pound’s (unfinished) third opera
for bass voice and violin. The work features a setting of Carmen
LXI, the greater of two wedding poems by Gaius Valerius Catullus
(84-54 B.C.).

Working with Pound’s unfinished drafts which Robert Hughes recently
identified among the holdings of the Beinecke Rare Book and
Manuscript Library at Yale University, Margaret Fisher has created a
performance edition of the recoverable fragments of this opera.
Today’s brief excerpts include the first 45 lines of Catullus’ poem
and a short processional for violin.

We are grateful to New Directions Publishing Corp., agents for Mary
de Rachewiltz and Omar Pound, for permission to perform this work.
We are also grateful to the Department of Dramatic Art, University
of California, Berkeley, for their assistance.