ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Rick Sayles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:44:04 -0500
Hi everyone,

A few comments:

I was glad to have a second for my nomination of  "King of the Maine
Bashers".  Any other
Candidates?  All in fun, of course!

Saturday night I was at the game so I taped the TV coverage.  I wanted
to enjoy the Joe Carr and
Scott Smith commentary.  Well last night I found some time to watch the
tape.  As usual, Joe and Scott
were excellent considering the nature of the game.   Eventually I got to
the point where Filipowicz
received a major penalty for hitting from behind.  The play developed as
follows:  A player from each
team was in the corner battling for the puck when Cory Larose joined the
battle by using only his stick.  Filipowicz came coasting into the area
when all of a sudden he accelerates into the back of
Larose.  They showed the replay on TV and all I could think of was that
this was a calculated action on the part of Filipowicz.  This was
clearly not the case of a player (Larose) turning his back as the
checking player (Filipowicz) came at him.  He may have been thinking of
the Guite hit on Mowers at New Hampshire.  Anyway, this play was
unfortunate since we had seen "good" hockey up to this point.

I was very impressed with the New Hampshire team.  They finally have
good goaltending, a pretty
solid defense, and great forwards.

Rick Sayles