ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 10:46:43 -0500
Hi everyone...

Sorry this is getting out so late but something came up yesterday and I
wasn't able to make it in...

So here are some observations on Saturday's game...

First Period -
I missed out as the directions to Schneider were terrible (got them from
the PC web page) and the traffic in Providence was greater than we
expected...  I talked to some people that had seen it though and it
sounded like a fairly even period with both teams gettting their chances
-- however, the comments I heard was that it was very sloppy at both
ends.

Second Period -
Breakdowns!  PC's third goal was the direct result of a Guite turnover
in the Maine offensive zone.  Guite skated in with the puck and tried to
leave a no-look drop pass at the blue line.  This no-look pass was
scooped up by a PC forward and they were gone.  PC got an odd-man rush
started and eventually the puck was poked home by Lent.  Kariya and
Parmentier had one good shorthanded attempt around the midway point of
the period but this went for naught as Ballard rose to the occasion
making the stop on Kariya.  Maine had other opportunities but they
weren't sharp on the power play and when they tested Ballard they shot
the puck right at his midsection.  PC's Sheppard got their 4th goal as
he and Coe worked on a 2 on 1 to perfection - yet another Maine
defensive breakdown!  (see a pattern developing...)

Third Period -
Maine came out firing and were generating several good chances.  Once
again though the Maine shots tended to be right at Ballard.  Ballard was
impressive at times but I thought he was not spectacular as a lot of his
saves were not of the difficult variety.  He also was very fortunate on
one occasion early as the puck actually bounced over the net!  PC's 5th
goal was a tough one as PC was on their heels and Maine was carrying the
play but that has been the story a lot lately.  Kariya and Stewart could
have gotten that one right back but they didn't work the 2-1 play to
perfection and Ballard came up big again.  Maine kept poking away but it
was clear that it was just not going to be their night.  PC was
opportunistic and Maine was not.

It's hard to find positives from the weekend series.  From reading some
of Shawn's comments, it is clear that he is frustrated as well.  They
have been generating chances but have not been able to cash in that
freuqently lately.  Also, the defensive and goaltending woes continue...

- Kevin

  Kevin C. Tompkins                  Boston Technology, Inc.
  phone/vmx = 1-800-866-2678(x8740)  [log in to unmask]
  "Ya do....  what ya gotta do...  so... JUST DO IT!!!!!"