ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 09:40:18 -0500
Hi...  I'm finally getting to work on a snowy Monday.  I see Dan has
already beaten me to the punch with a game report but I thought I would
share a few things that I saw as well.  There's not a lot of good things
to say about Maine's performance in this one so I will try and keep it
brief.

1st period -
Maine actually got off to a decent start.  They were hitting, moving the
puck and generating some chances.  They looked ok at this point.
However, UNH got on the power play early on and they subsequently
deposited a PP goal just barely over a minute into the contest.  I got
screened by someone in the crowd but this appeared to be a very soft
goal from Michaud - who needless to say wasn't sharp.  To Michaud's
credit, UNH had good looks early and often as the Maine defense seemed
content to let the UNH skaters glide on by without even laying a body on
them.  From this point on, UNH really carried the play and Maine got
some shots on Matile but no real "quality" chances.

2nd period -
More of the same for Maine.  They looked like they wanted to come out
firing at times but their gun was empty.  Then the unfortunate incident
occured with Mowers getting hit by Guite.  My seats are on the opposite
side of the ice and I actually had followed the play into the corner
when the hit occured.  One thing, it was not a loud crunching blow that
could be heard throughout the arena.  I couldn't tell you if it was or
looked intentional or not.  Shawn did protest a little on the major call
but not to an extreme.  This tells me that he obviously did not see the
hit as intentional or maybe he just wanted an explanation.  There were
several uncalled for remarks concerning Walsh from various UNH faithful
during the deafening silence while Mowers layed motionless on the ice.

Not much to say about the game after this point --  the players tried
their best to continue but it was clear that they were thinking about
Mowers more than the rest of the game.

I think Maine definitely has a consistency problem - something I hope is
just a sign of a young team.  I have to believe they will only get
better as the season wears on.  I have to admit though - this was the
most painful Maine game I've ever had to sit through!

One final thought...  I have to give UNH and Umile a lot of credit for
not trying to retaliate in some manner after the Mowers incident.  That
would have only made a bad situation worse in my opinion.

Go Blue!

- Kevin

  Kevin C. Tompkins                  Boston Technology, Inc.
  phone/vmx = 1-800-866-2678(x8740)  [log in to unmask]
  "Ya do....  what ya gotta do...  so... JUST DO IT!!!!!"