ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 07:51:51 -0500

> It should be noted that a resolution drafted by student government
> calling for UMaine to fire Walsh was withdrawn after it met strong
> oppositon from the student body.  And, the drop in enrollment is not
> solely attributable to the hockey team's woes.  However, for this
> observer anyway, it is comforting to know that at least some people,
> including prospective students and their parents, have included the
> former UMaine administration's handling of the Shawn Walsh debacle
> as a factor when making a decision on the worthiness of the school.

I didn't get a chance to read the article -- it is probably in the
archives on the BG page by now.  However, I would be curious to know
roughly how many people really used that as an excuse why they didn't
choose Maine.  I'm glad it is comforting to you but it is certainly not
comforting to me.  I think Maine has made a valiant attempt to restore
its credibility by suspending Walsh for a year without pay and by
cleaning up the administration (and its associated woes).

> I would have to say that the school is paying the price with its
> transgressions, even if Walsh is not.
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm still not going to be party to this kind of suggestion.  I believe
Walsh has paid dearly for his transgressions -- he lost his job for a
year without pay and has had to endure the pains associated with the
entire ordeal.  Also, don't forget - the NCAA cleared Walsh for the most
part.  I just think it's absurd to continue to suggest that he shouldn't
be the head coach any longer.  He was not the sole reason Maine got in
trouble!  Note:  I'm not saying he was clean in the entire matter but I
think he, the program, its patrons, the state, and the university have
suffered enough pain over this entire experience...

Let's keep the past where it belongs and focus on the present!

-- Kevin

  Kevin C. Tompkins                  Boston Technology, Inc.
  phone/vmx = 1-800-866-2678(x8740)  [log in to unmask]
  "Ya do....  what ya gotta do...  so... JUST DO IT!!!!!"