ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 14:50:20 -0500
I'm a bit concerned that as we get further into this season, the off-again,
on-again pattern is continuing.  When March rolls around, you won't get a
second game to make adjustments, it will be win or get out.  A .500 team
won't get an invitation to the dance, unless it can win the conference
tournament, but, again, that's win or get out (unless they've gone back to
two games total goals, or some other similar draw).

An easy explanation of inconsistency might be the youth/inexperience of the
Maine squad, but I am curious about how Maine scouts its opponents.

It seems Maine might be more prepared to play the opponent, and make
adjustments, only after seeing them play once, but not the first time out.
It's certainly a testament to the skills of the coaching staff to make
effective adjustments, which they have made against Merrimack and this week
against BC, then for the players (a young bunch, to be sure) to take the
direction and execute.  Are we getting people to the out-of-town rinks to
look at Maine's opponents ?

Those more familiar with the program than I might be able to describe what
resources the coaching staff / University presently devotes to scouting
out-of-town teams/games.  I hope the recent unpleasantness with the NCAA
and the  University's budget constraints have not resulted in less of an
effort in this area than in past years.

This year, on-site scouting becomes even more necessary, as fewer games
have been televised in HE than in previous years, to this point in the
season.  Most teams today tape their own games for instructional reasons,
but do they exchange these tapes with opponents ?  But, TV alone won't do
it.  We all know that a lot happens behind the play while the camera
follows the puck, missing action which will reveal a team's style of play
everywhere on the ice.

I think nothing compares with someone knowledgeable being there on the
scene.  Only by being at a game can someone familiar with the program look
for the important things which will show an opponent's tendencies,
weaknesses, strengths, etc., and provide the information to the coaching
staff on how to make adjustments to Maine's style to result in W's against
those teams.
And then, it's on to the next opponent.

This is really esoteric stuff, things you won't see at the game itself, but
scouting of opponents plays greatly into the effectiveness of the product
you do see on the ice.  I'm curious.

Unrelated item ---

Jean-Yves Roy was called up from Providence last night by the Bruins.
Presently, he is the Baby B's leading scorer.  I do think that if Anson
Carter gets over his medical problem, and when Heinze returns from a foot
injury, JY will be sent back down. Too bad.     Sorry, Deron, if I scooped
you on your Transactions posting on this one, but you all know how much I
enjoy seeing JY play on the big club.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Beers may now be in the booth, but Jean-Yves Roy ***
***    should be with the big club in Boston         ***