ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:50:19 -0500
At 08:07 AM 11/23/97 -0500, Cathy Hart wrote:
>Who are these two officials (other than Tuell!)?  I have never noticed them
>before!  Where do they come from and what college did they attend? I spoke
>with some of the BC fans and they were as frustrated with the officiating as
>Maine fans!  They really came close to losing control of the game, I thought.
> Yes, it's okay to do some nasty rotten activity one time and not another?
> Matching penalties where only one was earned (on both sides!)  Letting
>someone maul a player at one end, and then turn around and call it at the
>other?  Hey, Deron, did you notice the penalties were evened out in the first
>period, almost rythmically!  I could hear the sound of circus music as I read
>your stats!

For once Cathy and I agree on something!  :-)

I usually do not comment on officiating because I feel that it is one of
those intangibles a team must adjust to.  In saying that though, I can
understand how Maine people felt officiating played a role Friday night in
the outcome and BC fans last night.  Overall the weekend was poorly
officiated in my opinion because of the consistency problem others
including Cathy bring up.  Saturday's game especially, there was some
serious hitting and serious "marginal" play that I saw that would be
called, then let go.  Both coaches were absolutely livid at one point of
the game or another.

I also agree with Cathy that Saturday's Maine team is definately more of
the real Maine team than the one we saw Friday.  After the game you could
sense a collective sigh of relief among the players.  They HAD to win that
game, and to barely win really wasn't enough.  I think the confidence is
back in the Maine lockerroom and I think the players are very relieved to
snap out of their slump like that.

It'll be interesting to see the polls this week.  I think Maine could drop
out, however as someone who saw both games (like many of you) if I had to
give the edge to one team or the other on the weekend as a whole it was
clearly to Maine's advantage.  Friday night Maine was handled easily, but
it wasn't your typical 6-1 game -- it was much closer, a lot like Maine's
6-1 game with Minnesota earlier in the year.  Maine didn't totally beat up
on Minnesota, just put away their chances.  But Saturday night, Maine
totally hammered BC.  The first period was sort of run-and-gun but Maine
made the adjustments and they just took over the game.  BC never threatened
again after the first period.  The fact that BC is a very good team makes
Saturday's win all the more impressive.

Comments?
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])