ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 01:36:13 EST
The following probably bears little resemblance to what happened
in this game, but perhaps it will be useful just as a conversation
starter ...

* This may have been the most skilled and focused MC team to come
  to Alfond Arena, but do they have the depth to make HEA home ice
  or the NCAA tourney?

* This may prove to be a huge game for MC, as they play through a
  very tough part of their schedule.  After NU and UNH losses last week,
  they face Maine, Maine, UNH (4-2) (all records do not include 11/14
  games), UNH, a very good Princeton team (3-0-1) a good Yale team
  (3-0-0) and then to start December, BU (4-0-0).  In case that's not
  enough to make an MC fan feel uneasy, the rest of the way has then
  playing BU and BC both twice more with non-conference contests with
  Dartmouth (2-1) and a Colgate (4-2) team that split with Michigan.

* Maine led 4-1 with less than 2 minutes to play in the second.

* Time of possession and play outside of defensive zone were
  dominated by Maine.

* Maine only allowed 10 shots on goal during the 2nd plus 3rd periods,
  but 5 of those shots went in.

* I'd love to see the +s and -s for Maine and MC for this game.

* For the 2nd game in succession, the opponents garnered all 3 star
  selections.

* I expected to see MC's first line to do well, but the 2nd line was
  excellent and the 3rd line had several good shifts.

* Too many goals were scored by MC with MC players outnumbering
  Maine players around the crease for a team that supposedly emphasized
  defense in practice all week.

* Goalie Masotta could use some instruction on late game, down a goal
  play, as he was reluctant to come way out of the crease while the puck
  was over the red line, and later to sit back in the crease watching
  the play as the Maine bench franticly waved and hollered for him to
  come to the bench for an extra skater.

* The Maine lines were again moved around tonight, and play still
  looked like an individual skill show rather than choreographed
  teamwork.

* On defense, is Maine's weak-side wing playing much too low, or can
  someone teach me some hockey, please?  Both BU and MC seemed to
  take advantage of this.

* Certain defensemen seem to be taking risks that we're not used to
  seeing and certain forwards might take care of the defensive end
  a bit better.

* What has to happen for this club to allow opponents 3 or fewer
  goals each game?

* It sure would be nice to find a hot goalie in the Maine net
  Saturday night!

Saturday at 1pm - 1st ever Maine Women's Ice Hockey game.
Saturday at 7pm - Maine men cut into the recent 0.25 record against MC.

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                    Old Town Landing