ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:23:47 -0500
This is the preview for the BU game tommorow night.  Hope everyone has
a good weekend and enjoy the game.

The word rivalry originated from the Latin word rivalis, meaning "one
using the same stream as another."
Over the past few years that stream has proved to be crowded for both
the University of Maine and Boston University hockey teams to swim in.
"No question that emotionally, it is always a big game," said BU head
coach Jack Parker. "Both teams are up there as the co-favorites in the
league along with New Hampshire."
"It will be an intense struggle," said Black Bear coach Shawn Walsh.
"It will all come down to execution over emotion."
In the New Merriam-Webster Dictionary the word rivalry can be defined
as, "one of two or more trying to get what only one can have."
"It's a real big game for how Hockey East shapes up," said senior
captain Shawn Wansborough. "We didn't get to much help last year with
other teams beating BU.
"So, we need to take it upon ourselves. It's huge standings wise."
A second definition of rivalry is, "one that strives for competitive
advantage."
"Any hockey player wants to test yourself against a tough team," said
Wansborough. "You want to see what you can do in pressure situations.
They are the greatest games to play in."
However, If there is any player that can appreciate the bitter sweet
aurora that accompanies the match-up between the two schools, it is BU
transfer Brendan Walsh.
Walsh transferred to Maine after experiencing a fall out with the
hockey program and school administrators last season. After trading in
his scarlet jersey for the Black Bear blue, Walsh touched upon what
many in the inner circles of college hockey dub, "the game."
"There is no love lost between the two," said Walsh. "They are teams
who have won big games against each other, which have carried on this
tradition and rivalry."
"You are looking at the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country right now."
Although he must sit this year out, pending an appeal process, because
of NCAA rules on transfers, Walsh said that he is trying to stay away
from the emotional weights that Maine-BU shoulder.
"As a person, I get too emotional and I have to stay away emotionally
because I'd probably tear myself apart," said Walsh. "However, do I
want Maine to kick BU's ass? Of course."
"I wanted to transfer to a top team, and one that could beat BU."
"It's not whether we hate them," said Wansborough. "But, we always have
big games against them. It's more of showing yourself what you can do
out there."
Last season, Walsh chipped in 13 points for the Terriers in 27 games.
As BU makes their fashioned arrival in Orono, he talks about what it
was like walking out on the Alfond's ice surface from the other
perspective.
"While at BU, we always talked about how Alfond was one of the toughest
rinks to play in," said Walsh. "It's a hard place to score after Maine
scores. It's very intimidating."
"Even if you are up in the game, you always felt the tables could turn
at any moment. We could never get to high or to low. BU is well coached
and they never quit."
Walsh also said that the Terriers will look to take the sell out crowd
out of it before Maine's faithful get their batteries charged.
"BU is very physical," said Walsh. "They want that big hit early to
take the crowd out of it."
If, indeed, that is possible.
"I think it is hard to take the crowd out in Maine," said Parker. "We
have to practice playing in that type of environment. It will be a good
test for us, as well as them."
"It is a great rivalry between the two schools," said Maine left wing
Jason Vitorino. "It's a great opportunity for us to make an impact."
"The rivalry is huge," said Maine sophomore forward Jim Leger. "Our
fans will be up and they will be our sixth player."
Although the intensity will no doubt rock its way throughout the arena
and on the ice, there are many newcomers on both sides who have never
experienced a clash of the Titans in this magnitude before.
Like Maine, BU has landed a talented recruiting class this year, as
they play up to seven or eight freshman every night.
"We have similar teams," said Parker. "We have go to guys and we both
have a lot of freshman who have made big impacts."
Maine freshman Anders Lundback said he expects an up tempo game, which
caters more to the Sweden native's style.
"It'll be a fast game and they play an open game," said Lundback. "They
have some pretty good players as well."
When it comes to "go to" guys you need look no further than the pair of
Hobey Baker candidates that will showcase their talents Saturday night.
Maine's Steve Kariya and BU's Chris Drury take much of the spotlight as
the game's more exciting players to watch.
Drury turned down the NHL this year in favor of going after the
national title. As for his natural talent, Parker said it speaks for
itself.
"Drury is Drury," said Parker. "With the exception of me not playing
him enough his freshman year, everything is fine."
As for Kariya, his play speaks for itself, as well having torched the
starting gates in college hockey for 17 points, six in two league games.
Like the calm before the storm, two of the countries elite are set to
test its strength under one roof Saturday night.
"No question it is our biggest test," said Parker. "This is an example
of a good idea of where we are."
And the Black Bears too.
Paw Prints
Just how much attention is this game receiving? Well, Hockey East has
certainly noticed, for both Commissioner Joe Bertagna and Media
Relations Director Ed Saunders will be in attendance for the game.
Look for sophomore goalie Alfie Michaud to return between the pipes
against BU this weekend. Michaud went 3-0 against the Terriers and
Walsh is a stickler of using what works.
The Black Bears can even the all-time series at 28-28-4 with a win.
UMaine is 15-10-2 against BU in the Alfond.
Wansborough and Kariya have combined for 12 points against the
Terriers.
Captains Brian White and Kariya have played in 88 and 80 straight games
respectively.