ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:45:06 EST
John wrote..
>I think all pertinent info regarding the Black Bears should be posted
>here; not just the "good stuff".  Many of us living away from Orono have
>no other way of receiving this info.  After reading the box scores some
>of us may wonder why a certain player didnt score or play and it may be
>due to injury.  Without that info coming from this discussion list we
>would have no way of knowing.

And that not knowing may be OK sometimes.

Since my pothole may have been taken as a potshot,
I'd like to add a little to my previous post.

When a coach or player tells a reporter something (without saying "Off
the record" in the same sentence), that coach or player understands, or
should under stand, that the comment will be PUBLISHED and be made
PUBLICLY available.

The days when some Boston-area coach might say nice things about Maine
when interviewed by a Maine reporter and then grind Maine into hamburger
when talking to a Boston-area reporter, without being caught in his
hypocrisy, are over!

Yes, ME-Hockey articles will be read by opposing fans and maybe coaches
and (stretch) maybe players.  But why censor ME-Hockey when similar
information is available via the major media?

I've heard one argument: it gives the opposing team an advantage.

My reply: you're barking up the wrong tree.  If a player doesn't want
his injury known, he shouldn't talk to reporters about it.  If a coach
doesn't want an injury known, he shouldn't talk to reporters about it.

On the other hand, if we start discussing how one goalie gets beat high
to the glove side and the other low and wide, or how one defender always
throws the puck out to the point whether there's a forward there or not,
or how such and such sets this pick in the left circle and then rolls to
the slot get a pass from the corner ...  are we discussing our favorite
team or giving aid to the "enemy"?

My 2-part answer is (1) we're discussing our favorite team and (2) we
don't have enemies, except in our minds.  Well, maybe Coach Walsh has
some enemies :(

In case you don't buy my opponents-vs-enemies argument, then maybe
you should consider that discussion you see on ME-Hockey is
essentially unmoderated.  Unlike an article by a Boston Globe columnist
or a Bangor Daily News commentator, everything you read here is not
the gospel truth.

Bring on BU!  Drop the puck!

P.S.  It was interesting to watch the US Women's National team practice
      this morning at Alfond Arena, Orono.  Good skills it seemed, with
      a few very talented players.  Compared to a Shawn Walsh practice,
      however, it was pretty slow-paced and not very intensive.

Yours in college hockey,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3