ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Derek Felix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:00:22 EST
I am writing to you in regards to your club.

     First off, I would to express how big a hockey fan I am.  I live
in New York.  So, I'm a bigtime Ranger fan.   I have always followed
hockey very intensely at the professional and collegiate levels as
well as the minors.  As far as Maine goes, I have always followed
their hockey team.  I know that they have produced lots of good
players.   In particular, Paul Kariya.

I go to St.John's University.  They don't have a hockey club.  I also
live on Staten Island.   There aren't any collegiate hockey powers in
my area.  Hockey isn't as popular out here.   It doesn't get the kind
of coverage that baseball, football and basketball have.
There is one positive.  A couple of years ago, they built a hockey
facility five minutes from where I live.  It now holds allsorts of
high school hockey games.   There is no cost to get in because hockey
is not supported by the public school system.   I've went to several
games.   Some of them are really intense with hard hitting and lots
of goals scored.   There are a couple of good rivalries out here.
There are two perenial powerhouses.   One is Monsignor Farrell and
the other is located in Brooklyn.  They are Xaverian.  I saw a
playoff game last year between the 2 schools that went to 2
overtimes.  Undefeated Farrell Lions lost a heartbreaker.  It was a
great game.

The one problem I have is that my newspaper doesn't cover high school
hockey as much as the other sports.

The other problem I have is seeing a college hockey game.  Are there
any good schools located out here in New York that are worth seeing?

I have really enjoyed being a part of this group.  I read all the
mail that I get on line and there are a lot of interesting stories.
There all very nice!    I guess what it really comes down to is where
can I go and see tomorrow's stars today within an easy traveling
distance?    Hopefully, one of you bright hockey people could shed
some light on this topic.
I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks.
                                               Big hockey fan, Derek