ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:44:00 -0400
Contrary to the title of your posting, Deron, I have never thought the Deadly
was mending it's ways.  Larry Mahoney refuses to write the expose' type
articles they favor, with one sided argument and negativity the main
ingredients.  I had hopes that the absence of Mr. Kelleter would improve
things, but certainly did not expect a change as soon as this season.  I do
not expect any change at all until they get someone in charge who is
responsive to the wishes of the readers.  I, for one, find Larry's style of
handling sensitive material in an even handed fashion very professional.  I
cannot say as much for the slanted, biased, inflammatory reporting we have
seen from the word processors of Mike Dowd and Joe McLaughlin.  Vickie, since
I no longer read the BDN, what happened that aroused your ire?

Yes, Ms. Fleming is a competent writer, but she will never bring a
comprehensive understanding of the sport until she has been writing about it
for as long as Larry has, which must be twenty years or more.  (Anybody know
how long?)  I have seen many times when her reporting of a story about Maine
Hockey would have been much improved by a thorough knowledge of her subject.
 What's more the coaches and players trust Larry.  I am not talking about
just our school, but other schools as well.  And having read the college
hockey articles in the Boston, Michigan and Minnesota papers, I don't see how
anyone can call Larry a homer with any degree of criticism.  He follows the
national trend much more closely than others at the BDN.

And it is not just us sports fans who are unhappy with the Deadly.  A few
years ago, in a room filled with very prominent Bangor businessmen including
the old "Bangor Brahmins", that question was asked from the podium, and the
overwhelming response was negative.

The "Sounding Off" column seemed originally intended to give the readers a
forum, but has turned into a place for the Deadly writers to mount their
favorite soap boxes.  Part of that must be because so many fans wrote in but,
seemingly because of editorial bias, were never published and so have ceased
to try.  I have gotten copies of many many letters sent in to the Deadly,
critical of their Sports Department's editorial policy  or reporting, even
just arguing another side of an issue, which never saw press.  My own
experiences with Mr. McLaughlin I have chronicled before, and illustrate the
reason why I no longer bother to send my opinions in (although as you may
guess, not opening my mouth is painful sometimes!).  I find it interesting to
note that during the whole time of intense media attention, with the tv and
radio stations asking for commentary from Jack & I, that the BDN never
called.  I guess their belief is that it's okay for them to be biased and
negative, but we are all supposed to swallow what they give us whole, never
disagree or be critical.

I do heartily encourage others to try, though!  And as many as can lift pen
to paper, because they will not publish unless there are tons.  I also urge
folks to talk to your friends of similar minds in the Bangor business
community and urge them to tell their advertising reps that they are unhappy
with the editorial bias and inexplicable assignments.  I have been told by
folks who work at the News that the sound of money is the only thing they
listen to!

And, before stepping off my particular soap box, I will say this:

There is little point in complaining about the air you breathe if there is no
other choice.

This reflects only my opinion and is not necessarily shared anyone else!

Cathy Hart