ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Svec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:03:39 -0400
I asked my daughter about this mini-controversy since she has played college
hockey and she is a strong willed person who will take on anyone who says
women can't do almost anything as well as men.  Here is what she had to say:

"Who would I want as coach?  Gender is irrelevant, imho.  The "Most
Qualified" is hard to judge...unless they've proven that they can take a
team and really improve it, etc.   People react very differently to
different coaching styles.  I imagine that most women hockey players grew
up playing on boys' teams, and are used to men as coaches and teammates.  It
doesn't really occur to me that a coach is male or female.  I don't think
that way.  You could argue that it was unfair to hire a coach not from the
state of Maine.... "Why hire someone 'from away' when there are qualified
coaches in Maine?"   Why not argue that we should hire a woman to be
a football coach?  Ultimately, it would be unfair and sexist NOT to hire a
man because he is a man....as discriminatory as the reverse.  I assume
 the players will like or dislike Filighera not because he's a man, but
rather by
how he coaches/treats people/etc."

Now, excuse me for showing the proud father in me, but it is great to see my
daughter judge people on the merits of their work rather than on gender.
It's a shame that so many individuals try to see things in a male/ female,
black/white,  or other equally judgemental ways instead of on ability.

Bob Svec

GO BLACK BEARS!!!!