ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 21:57:19 -0400
Hello everybody, my name is Bill Stewart and I am the sports editor for
the Maine Campus. This is my third year covering the team and I will be
posting related articles to the list begining with a preview of
midnight madness. This story ran on Friday September 26th, 1997. I will
post my story shortly that I did during midnight madness on the fans.

As the winter season slowly starts to  make its way to Orono, a certain
madness fulfills the air. Midnight Madness that is.
This Saturday night the UMaine hockey team officially gets things under
way with there annual  practice held at the Alfond Arena.
For the first time in two years the Bears can compete in post season
play and the players are anxious to drop the puck this season.
"I'm excited to get going," said senior captain Shawn Wansborough.
"We're going to be starting up pretty soon, and it's time to play some
real hockey."
"I'm anxious to see the guys play myself," said head coach Shawn Walsh.
 "I've decided to make the event a little more fan friendly.  It's
going to be real fun for the students who decide to come out."
The doors will open at 9 PM and their are plenty of activities planned
to celebrate the beginning of the upcoming season.
A public skating, which is free to the public, is scheduled to run from
9:00 until 10:45.
At 11:00 the ice will be cleared and the fans will have an opportunity
to test how fast they can rip off a slap shot.
While the clock continues to tick, Walsh will address the crowd at
around 11:30. At 12:01 AM the Black Bears take the ice.
"A big priority for me this year is going to take time to get the
students back," said an exuberant Walsh.  "Now that we have a chance to
come out for every game.
I want the student flavor back at the Alfond."
Students with their ID will be admitted free to the event. The general
public will be requested to donate one dollar.
All proceeds will go to the Universityms Fogler Library and Athletic
Departmentms Sam Sezak Study Center.
"It's a whole new year and we are starting fresh," said sophomore
goalie Alfie Michaud.  "We're real enthusiastic and were ready to go."
The Black Bears open their season up October 17th and 18th for a pair
of games at perennial power Minnesota.
Maine will open its home schedule the following weekend with the JC
Penney Hockey Classic which will feature nationally ranked Colorado
College, St. Lawrence, and St. Thomas.
Ticket distribution will also be more accommodating this year as well.
Students with their sports pass and ID can pick up their tickets for
all home games Monday through Thursday at the ticket office in the
Alfond Arena.
This years squad will feature several returning players as well as 14
new comers.
"(Assistant Coach) Grant Standbrook did an excellent job recruiting,"
said junior captain Steve Kariya.  "Every year he seems to bring in
great players and this year is no exception."
This years captains along with Kariya  are senior defenseman Brian
White, and Wansborough.
"We're ready to go after our goal which is to get to the national
tournament and see if we can win it again," said Walsh.  "We have a lot
of pieces that will have to fill in and we will rely on our newcomers
alot."
"Everyone is excited for the start of the season," added Kariya.
"Midnight madness should be exciting and I hope their will be a good
crowd out. I know everyone is looking forward to it."