ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:20:10 EDT
Robert wrote, in part..
>One of my problems is I  have questions and not information.  The BDN's
>article on Wednesday gave me more questions than answers.  For example, how
>good are the two red shirt freshmen Garrow and Tate?  Will they be ready to
>contribute this season?  I thought there were only three incoming freshmen
>this season.  I was surprised to read about the Turgeon, Lundback twins,
>Jaaskelainen, and DiBattista.  Where are they from, how big are they, what
>are their strengths and weaknesses, will they play or be redshirted, etc.?
>Are they walk-ons or on partial scholarships?

Coach Walsh has stated in a number of forums that he expects 5-6 1st
year players to be significant contributors this year.  I think that
includes most or all of the above listed players.

Although he kept away from specific players, Coach did suggest that, for
the first time at Maine, scholarship money was offered to a European
(some in the past have had some scholarship money after the first year).

Austria, Finland and (maybe?) Sweden are some of the homelands
represented in the group of new recruits.

>I see where Brendan Walsh has appealed to the NCAA to be eligible this
>season...is there any chance it will be granted?   ...

Even if the appeal is denied, we'll see him *next* season!

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3