ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:47:59 -0500
http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=99062&z=15

Maine's Howard nearing game shape

By Larry Mahoney

ORONO - Goalie Jimmy Howard of the University of Maine men's hockey team
appears to be rounding into shape after a summer bout of mononucleosis, two
upper respiratory infections, and a sprained ankle contributed to a slow
start. Howard, who had six shutouts and set NCAA records for lowest
goals-against average (1.19) and highest save percentage (.956) last season,
has a 1.50 goals-against average and a .943 save percentage over his last
four starts. He posted a 2.77 GAA and .892 save percentage in his first four
games.

"I'm not sick any more and the nagging injuries are going away," said
Howard, a second team All-American last year. "I'm just concentrating on
getting better and better."

He had mononucleosis for a month over the summer and it hampered his
conditioning.

"With mono, when you think you're in the clear, you're not. When you think
you can go out and do anything, you can't," said Howard. "I've been paying
attention to my body a lot. When I'm tired, I don't do the extra things I
normally did last year out on the ice [in practice] because rest is key for
me.

"I had an upper respiratory infection against North Dakota [a two-game
series swept by the Fighting Sioux on Oct. 8-9] and it was tough out there
in the third period. When you get a flurry in front of you, it's tough to
catch your breath. Now everything seems to be back to normal."

Maine senior right wing and co-captain John Ronan said Howard is a gamer.

"It took him a while with everything he went through this summer, but you
knew he'd round out into form, and he's starting to hit his stride right
now," Ronan said. "Hopefully, he'll keep on getting better."

Maine coach Tim Whitehead said Howard has been showing "consistent
improvement," but he intends to be careful with him to avoid any relapses.

"Jimmy wants to get into better game shape, but there's a fine line. We
don't want him to overtrain and get sick again. When you have mono, you're
more susceptible to getting sick again," said Whitehead.

The Maine coach said Howard's mates are doing a better job in front of him.

"The last four games, we're getting back to playing defensive hockey, which
has been our strength [over the years]," said Whitehead. "Now we just have
to find a way to score some goals. We've got to get some shots through on
the power play, drive the net more consistently, and stay out of the penalty
box."

Maine has scored only eight goals in its last four games while allowing just
six.

"Our defensemen started stepping up this past weekend," said senior center
Ben Murphy. "They played a lot better. Now our forwards have to help out
everybody. We'll get there."

Maine will have to be at the top of its game this weekend because Hockey
East's most prolific scoring teams, Boston College (4 goals per game) and
New Hampshire (3.8), invade Alfond Arena for Friday night and Sunday
afternoon games, respectively.

"Team defense involves everyone," said Ronan. "The forwards have to get
back, the defensemen have to clear the front of the net for Jimmy, and Jimmy
has to stop the puck. It will take a team commitment, especially against two
high-powered offenses like they have. It's going to be a challenge and we're
going to have to respond."