ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:23:14 -0400
Folks.. told you all I'd check into the TV situation and WMEB, here is what
I found.

First, unlike my suggestion the contract UMaine has with the Maine
Broadcasting System to televise UMaine sports was not extended when hockey
was banned from TV and football experienced.. growing pains.  In fact UM
and MBS worked out compensation and put that issue to bed.

Also, as was suggested by a subscriber, the TV contract is up this year.
UM has talked with some stations, and they are waiting for the final
schedules to be released before that process can proceed further.

On the subject of WMEB, UM's student station.  I talked with Rob James who
runs WMEB.  James said that not many hockey games were aired this season,
but not because the station isn't interested.  James said that sports
coverage was a big part of WMEB's past and that the new administration next
year does plan to do more sports coverage (James is graduating I believe).

With respect to the signal strength of the station, James said WMEB has
received calls from Lucerne (which is almost to Lincoln according to him),
but "if you drive directly into bangor, by the time you reach the Pearl
building our signal completely fades away.  As soon as you get out of that
"valley" that the city is situated in, our signal returns."

James said the signal is also clearer than it has been in the past.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])