ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:06:34 -0500

Maine showed this Saturday that they developed the mental toughness to
match the level of their worthy opponent and exploit their evenly matched
talent.  We lost, and earned the respect of the host.

Note on USCHO the lack of ill will toward Maine in the aftermath of this
latest classic against the Wolverines.  Me, I'm hoping for a Michigan -
Cornell final, but have to give the edge to Big Red simply on experience
factor and of course the goaltender edge.  Cornell hasn't had this skilled
a netminder since they had some guy who later suited up for Les Habitants
(eek)

So, Tony, I somewhat agree with you there.  None of this "root for your
conference" crapola; I can never support the University of No
Hardware.  Look for Dick Umile to gas it once again in the big dance.

Where you and I really disagree is on the Maine uniforms.  Did you see how
many different versions of just the Maize uniform you could detect in the
crowd shots at Yost ?  Michigan changes their uniforms about as many times
as the Portland minor league hockey team has...I think it is high time for
UMaine to make a change.

I think a new home top and a third top would be in order, with the
"snarling bear" logo to figure prominently.  I see you graduated in 96 - do
you realize since the hockey program started that the basic design of the
home top has changed very little, except for the printed or script word
"Maine" and the numeral and name font on the back ?  Take a look at how
many opponents even in the limited confines of HE have made uniform changes
since 1996.  What is so bad about change ?

Merchandising revenue is very helpful to the entire college athletic
program these days, and if they devote a portion of sales back into Maine
hockey also, all the better.  I wanted them to do a change after the 99
championship, but never really thought we could influence that; I think the
new AD might be more of a marketing type.  I am convinced a well-designed
change in the Maine top will sell like hotcakes.

It really is a new era in Maine hockey now... a new outlook after this
rather "transitional" season.  As Shawn did when he came in, some changes
are in order as Whitehead establishes his identity more on the program,
with a new AD to offer some ideas as well.

We want more in 04 !!

Dan Doucette  78 MPA 80

Tony wrote