ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jeff Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:07:58 -0500
Nice review of the games.  You are absolutely right about the TV coverage. I have written to Hockey east regarding this and obviously gotten no reply.  What can they say?  It's actually a now annual email.  Maybe, just maybe, I can muster up a cheer for bu if it means Maine will stay east and then I can go.....: )

> From: Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/03/15 Sat PM 02:45:32 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Hockey East Semifinals
>
> I was fortunate enough to be able to watch both Hockey East semifinal games
> on Fox Sports last night.
>
> What a great 7 hours of hockey that was!!  Hockey East has become so deep
> and such a great, competitive conference and that was on display last night.
> I have watched plenty of sports, but few events have been as entertaining as
> BOTH games were last night.  It was a terrific time, despite the fact that
> my team (Maine) was not there!!
>
> #1 UNH vs. #6 UMass
>
> Hard to know what to expect from this game.  UMass had just came off a
> stunning two-game upset of my beloved Black Bears and as an extremely young
> team would they respond to the challenge or would UNH's experience the
> FleetCenter environment overwhelm them?
>
> After a pretty even first part of the period, UNH got on the board 1-0 and
> then not long after on a good individual play by Josh Prudden, who just
> turned and fired the puck on net, UNH was up 2-0 and they were flying.
>
> UMass was able to survive and get to the dressing room, but it did not
> appear that UMass was going to be able to make a game of this.  But
> (remember this) UMass would not die.  By the 12:40 mark of the second period
> Stephen Warner and Greg Mauldin had scored to bring UMass back to tie the
> game at 2-2 setting up as UNH coach Dick Umile called it, "a 20-minute
> hockey game".
>
> UNH appeared ready to bury UMass early in the third as Tyler Scott and Steve
> Saviano scored at 3:17 and 6:43 respectively to establish a 4-2 lead.  At
> that point I felt the game was over.  No way UMass can come back, right?
>
> But once again UMass did not die, and by scoring goals 10 seconds apart the
> Minutemen again tied it at 4-4, before Prestin Calandar got the game winner
> for UNH with just 2:29 to go.
>
> The best team clearly won this game, but UMass deserves a ton of credit for
> showing a lot more maturity and poise than their age and their program's
> experience dictates.  UMass returns practically all of their team, and will
> be a dangerous team next year.  Hockey East just gets deeper and deeper.
>
> #2 BC vs. #5 BU
>
> Well, after a great UNH/UMass game it seemed hard to believe that the night
> cap would be better, but I should have known better.
>
> In a two-overtime thriller BU got the 6-5 win over BC in a see-saw game that
> saw several lead changes and much emotion.
>
> BC goaltender Matti Kaltiainen looked pretty weak early, allowing a Brian
> Collins goal just 43 seconds in, but then looking shaky on a couple early
> saves, but would get better as the game went on.  The teams ended a fairly
> even first with a 1-1 score, BC might have had a slight edge in play.
>
> The second period was absolutely wild as 5 goals were scored in the period.
> [...]

"It isn't how far you go in life...It's who you walk with."