ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:30:10 EST
Lindsay wrote, in part..
>Can someone tell me if my eyes were affected by the beer I consumed, or did
>I really see Gary Thorne out on the ice after the end of the first period.

That was Gary Thorne!  He and many of the players and their families
(from the inaugural and 2nd season of Maine Hockey (77-81 and 78-82
classes)) were out on the ice to celebrate a pair of $50,000 donations
by a gentleman (whose name I know, but it escapes me at the moment).

Gary was the voice of Maine hockey in those days.  I was hoping he might
come on and do at least some of the game with Dan Hannigan, but he
didn't (that I noticed).  He did do a nice interview with Hannigan
during one of the intermissions (2nd, perhaps).  Did he come on with Joe
Carr on WABI-TV?

Let me offer to any "new" Maine fans, that you would have loved those
teams of the early years.  The boys, with few exceptions, weren't the
best prospects, but came here and worked hard and together ...  with
amazing results.  To a few, English was not even a 2nd language, as they
had spoken (only) French all of their lives.  Maine Hockey supporters
came together and gave the team and individuals the support they really
needed ...  far away from home, with a language barrier, no
upper-classmen to learn from, etc.

Andre Aubut's son spoke during the presentation.  The Maine fans'
appreciation for his father was apparent to (and shared by) this fan.
Hopefully everyone who came back for the presentation was reminded that
they are something of a legend in Maine.  Through them, a great program
was born, developed and still thrives.

I did see Robert Lafleur (one of the fastest Maine skaters ever) there,
but missed the names of the others in attendance.

cheers, wayne