ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 01:42:48 -0400
At 10:56 PM -0500 3/1/97, Deron Treadwell wrote:
> Dan Shermerhorn and Reg Cardinal, both seniors playing their last game at
> Maine, each scored a pair of goals as Maine routed UMass 10-3.
>
> Maine finishes the year at 24-10-1 and 16-7-1 in HE as they will not be
> eligible for the Hockey East or NCAA Tournaments due penalties relating to
> NCAA infractions.

I just wanted to offer my congratulations to Maine, its fans and the team
for a great finish to the season.  It is too bad that the events of the
last couple of years have resulted in this team not being able to compete
in the postseason this year, because Maine is certainly one of the very
best teams in the country right now.

But the Maine players have nothing to be ashamed of.  They proved
themselves by going 15-2-0 over the last 17 games, beating BU three times
and UNH once, and finishing just three points out of first place.  It is
one of the most impressive performances I have seen any team give over an
extended period of time.

I have a very high regard for this Maine team, and something I am very
proud of is that the only two games Maine has lost this semester in HE have
been to Merrimack.  We knew at the time that those wins were big, but
Maine's subsequent showing against UNH and BU showed just how big.

I wish the best of luck to Dan, Reg, Jason Mansoff, Trevor Roenick, and Leo
Wlasow as they move on beyond college and college hockey.  I've enjoyed
watching them play and they deserve a lot of credit for the way they have
led their team.

Finally, a big congratulations to Shawn Walsh for what I personally
consider the most impressive HE coaching performance this year in a season
filled with strong coaching efforts.  It shows that he and Maine are well
on their way back, and that is good for Hockey East and college hockey in
general.

Normally, I would not look forward to playing a team like Maine next year.
:-)  But Merrimack has laid the groundwork for future success with this
season, whatever happens on the rest of this long, strange, wonderful trip
we've endured in 1996-97.  When Merrimack made the move to Hockey East in
1989, we looked forward to games with teams as good as BU, UNH, and Maine
have been this year, because they show us what we can hope for and give us
an idea of how we measure up.  Next year's games with Maine will be no
different.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****