ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:33:11 -0500
At 04:14 PM 2/4/97 -0500, Dan.Littlefield wrote:

>I totally disagree with having the students take over the balcony.
>Its not necessarily the location of the students that is the problem.

I agree that location isn't the *only* problem, but it does play a role.

If you stick the students below the glass, their noise gets muffled.  For
instance if students are put in sections JJ, II, I, U, V, W.. they are stuck
behind the glass, with either the balcony or the sky boxes on top of them.

This is not condusive to spreading the sound.

Why the balcony is perfect is because students have no glass in front of
them, and they are on top of the the action, specifically the goaltender.
The alumn. bleachers are also great for making that much more noise.

> The students, for the most part, aren't making the noise they used
>to make 5-8 years ago.  Students used to be able to stand in line on
>a Monday or Tuesday with 8 or 10 student ID's and pick up a group of
>tickets and those 8 or 10 students would sit together and yell and
>scream together. TKE used to practically reserve a whole section of
>seats behind the goal, get to the game just as the puck was dropped
>and make all kinds of noise...I don't see much of that anymore.

I agree.  One has to wonder how connected these two issues are.  If you put
the students together, does that increase the noise?  I contend it will.

So then the question is where do you put them?

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])