ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 19:31:04 -0400
Jason Clark <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Hey, whats the deal with Rejean Stringer at Merrimac?  Did he graduate?
>Is he
> coming back?  I think they may be the sleeper of Hockey East next year.
>If he
> was on a team where he didn't get all the defensive attention, he would be
> awesome.  The three times I saw him play last year, I thought he looked
>as good
> as Krog.  Where are you Merrimac guy?  Are you still listening?

Unfortunately for Merrimack, Rej and Kris Porter graduated, taking much of
the offense with them (41 goals and 60 assists).  However Greg Classen
returns, and he put up 14-11--25 last year while skating on the second line
to make the All Rookie Team.  They'll need to have some other guys step up
too, like having Sandy Cohen return to his sophomore year form (24 goals --
just six last year).

There are enough question marks that I don't know that they'll be a sleeper
but on the other hand, the defense was much improved under Chris Serino.
Yet they still won only 11 games (something like double digits in one goal
losses).  Personally, I have had my fill of 7-6 losses over the last couple
of years and I'll take 3-2 wins any day.  But a key will be if big D
Stephen Moon returns (the NHL is beckoning) and if he is healthy.  He was
never really able to get going last year but when he was in he made an
impact, like in the two playoff games at UNH that MC lost by one goal.

Although Serino's first real recruiting class was said back in the fall by
an unnamed HE assistant to be "as good as any in the league", he still only
had a few scholarships to work with since only three players graduated.  We
will not really know what he is able to do recruiting wise for a couple of
years although players like Tony Aquino, Nick Cammarata and Luke Smith have
gotten rave reviews.

On the Maine schedule, I believe Paula Weston noted that Maine is playing
at Ohio State on Fri-Sun so they can attend the Saturday Iowa-OSU football
game.  This is the same thing that happened when Merrimack went to OSU two
years ago and we attended the Northwestern-OSU game.  It was a lot of fun
and I am sure the Maine players will enjoy the atmosphere and experience of
seeing Big Ten football.