ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:52:43 EDT
Bob Thomas wrote, in part..
>Here it is! Fresh from the UMaine SID.
>
>1999-2000 University of Maine Men's Hockey Schedule
>
>Day             Date            Time    Opponent        Site
>
>Saturday        Oct. 16         7:00    MINNESOTA       @ Orono
>Sunday          Oct. 17         7:00    MINNESOTA       @ Orono
>
>JC PENNEY HOCKEY CLASSIC                                @ Orono
>
>Friday          Oct. 22         4:00    Connecticut v. Canisius
>                                7:00    Maine v. New Brunswick
>Saturday        Oct. 23         4:00    Consolation
>                                7:00    Championship
>
>Friday          Oct. 29         7:00    at Ohio State   Columbus, Ohio
>Sunday          Oct. 31         2:00    at Ohio State   Columbus, Ohio
>Friday          Nov. 5          7:00    NORTHEASTERN    @ Orono
>Sunday          Nov. 7          2:00    PROVIDENCE      @ Orono
>Friday          Nov. 12         TBA     at Merrimack, N. Andover MA
>Sunday          Nov. 14         1:00    at Boston College, Boston MA
>Friday          Nov. 19         7:00    UMass Lowell    @ Orono
>Saturday        Nov. 20         7:00    Brown           @ Orono
>Friday          Dec. 3          TBA     at Northeastern, Boston MA
>Saturday        Dec. 4          TBA     at Northeastern, Boston MA
>Monday          Dec. 6          TBA     at UMass Amherst, Amherst, MA
>Friday          Dec. 10         7:00    Boston University @ Orono
>Sunday          Dec. 12         2:00    Quinnipiac      @ Orono
>
>DENVER CUP - Denver, CO
>Monday          Dec. 27         4:00 (MST) Maine v. Colorado College @ Denver
>                                7:00 (MST) Denver v. Notre Dame @ Denver
>Tuesday         Dec. 28         Consolation/Championship
>
>Sunday          Jan. 2          2:00    Cornell         @ Portland, Maine
>Friday          Jan. 7          7:00    New Hampshire   @ Orono
>Saturday        Jan. 8          7:00    New Hampshire   @ Orono
>Saturday        Jan. 15         TBA     at Boston University, Boston MA
>Sunday          Jan. 16         TBA     at Boston University, Boston MA
>Friday          Jan. 28         7:00    Boston College  @ Orono
>Saturday        Jan. 29         7:00    Boston College  @ Orono
>Sunday          Feb. 6          TBA     at New Hampshire, Durham, N.H.
>Friday          Feb. 11         7:00    UMass Amherst   @ Orono
>Saturday        Feb. 12         7:00    UMass Amherst   @ Orono
>Friday          Feb. 18         TBA     at UMass Lowell, Lowell, Mass.
>Saturday        Feb. 19         TBA     at UMass Lowell, Lowell, Mass.
>Friday          Feb. 25         7:00    Merrimack       @ Orono
>Saturday        Feb. 26         7:00    Merrimack       @ Orono
>Friday          March 3         TBA     at Providence,  Providence, R.I.
>Saturday        March 4         TBA     at Providence,  Providence, R.I.
>Thurs.-Sunday   March 9-12      TBA     Hockey East Quarterfinals   TBA
>Friday-Saturday March 17-18     TBA     Hockey East Semifinals/Finals @ Boston
>Friday-Sunday   March 24-26     TBA     NCAA Regionals  Albany,N.Y./
> [...]

Thanks for posting this, Bob ...  and thanks to the SID for getting it
out before season ticket renewals.

It's an interesting schedule.  My opinion is that it is as good a
"general purpose" or varied schedule as we've had in a while.

If one splits the season in half, with just before xmas as mid-point, we
have 17 games (10 home) in the 1st half and 18 games (8 home + 1 home at
Portland) in the 2nd half.  Note that playing New Brunswick allows Maine
to schedule 35 instead of he normal NCAA maximum of 34 games.

The 18 Alfond Arena games are the most in several years;  start saving
for your season tix now!

All but one (Jan 2 Cornell) non-conference games are in 1st half.

Weekends off include 11/26-27 (Thanksgiving), 12/17-18 (no games until
mid-week between xmas and New Years) and 1/21-22.  Should Maine be so
fortunate as to make it to the Frozen Four, there will be another
weekend off after the NCAA regionals and before traveling to Prov., RI.

We have a variety of opponents ...

   WCHA           3 plus 1 possible

      Minnesota (2), Colorado College, Denver (possible)

   CCHA           2 plus 1 possible

      Ohio State (2), Notre Dame (possible)

   ECAC           2

      Brown, Cornell

   MAAC           2

      Connecticut or Canisius, Quinnipiac

   Canadian       1

      New Brunswick

   HEA           24

      NU (3), PC (3), MC (3), BC (3), BU (3), UMA (3), UML (3), UNH (3)

Though recent history would have us doing well against the ECAC and MAAC
opponents, the WCHA and CCHA opponents could prove quite a challenge.
As most of you know better than I, OSU and NDame have built their
programs into top national contenders.  Minnesota, down last year just a
step, might be expected back with new coach Don Lucia (last year head
coach at Denver).  And finally (on the non-conference side), our games
with DU and CC last year may have been quite key in earning the National
Championship.  Like last year, the games at Denver the plus the
following games with Cornell(1), UNH(3), BU(2), and BC(2) will go far in
deciding the regular season HEA Championship and our position for any
possible NCAA bid.

Comments?

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3