ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:39:14 -0500
[log in to unmask],NNTP writes:
>I'll admit, I was bitterly disappointed with the outcome of the two
>games this weekend.  I could have handled losing two games to UNH
>because they are a great team, but to get blown out twice with the
>title on the line was really tough to take for this fan.
I feel the same way and although Coach Walsh keeps spinning it "No team
in the country could have won in there this weekend" makes me feel a
little better but hardly happy.  I trust his judgement over mine and if
that's his thought on the weekend then I can do nothing but say "OK"....

>1.  Somewhere along the way some of us let our expectations get a bit
>out of control.
I found myself thinking about this during the second period Sat. night.
 I don't know when it happened but I realized that I may have expected
to much from this team last weekend, knowing that the environment down
there would be nuts.
>We've had a solid year, but people(Coach Walsh)  are talking about
>Anahiem and have been for a few months.  HOLD ON!  Maine *may* make it
>there, but they've got to do a better job than they did this weekend!
>But we also have to keep in mind that barring playing BC/BU in the HE
>Playoffs that will be the most hostile enemy crowd we face the rest of
>the way.  SO that combined with poor play on big ice, makes me feel
>somewhat better.

>1a.  What was really strange was Shawn Walsh was "downplaying" the UNH
>series, but talking about going to Anahiem before this weekend.  Why?
Because even with the two losses and the #4 ranking, the next closest
team to us in any respect has at least 10 losses!

>2.  This weekend was a huge weekend, on the road.  UNH is not *that*
>much better than Maine.
Which is what I stated in an earlier post.  There is no way that UNH is
4 goals a game (on average) better than this Maine team.

>3.  Maine and UNH will meet up again and these losses should work in
>Maine's favor.
Along that line I think the 5 straight losses coming into this weekend
to Maine worked in UNH's favor.  I mean we knocked them out of the
playoffs there last year and they were making a point that it wasn't
about to happen again.

>4. UNH Fans...when it is "wear white night" they actually wear white!!
I thought the same thing....

>5. ...If Clarkson does that in the ECAC, Maine may be looking at a #3
>seed.  Clarkson and Maine are very close right now and whichever one
>does better in its postseason tournament may decide who gets that all
>important bye.
I think looking at the overall picture it's obvious that Maine is the
better team and gets the nod for the bye...

>6.  Also watch out, if BC wins the HE Tournament, and Maine gets
>knocked out early, Maine could also be a #4 seed if things line up
>correctly.. and that *might* mean getting shipped out to the West
>Regional.  Maine has such a good fan base I find it hard to believe
>they'll get shipped out west, but
>one can never tell! :-)
Well that's stretching it a bit I think....

>7.  These UMass games Thursday-Saturday are not gimmes.  UMass goalie
>Marcus Helanen is hot lately and when he was hot earlier this year we
>were
>0-1-1 against him.  These are some serious games this weekend!
Yeah but it all goes back to the big ice sheet.... I think when we rock
the Alfond it will 1) psyche out UMASS and 2) show our guys that even
though they were unsuccessful last weekend there is no need to be down,
they are still in very good shape and we are excited that they are back
in home territory. and on the road to kick some butt in the tournement!
-Jake