ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:48:02 EST
MathyM wrote, in part..
>                                               ...  season ticket
>holders should have their seats moved to a designated area where they
>would feel less intimidated by college kids and their school sprit...

I'm not going to venture into what *should* and *shouldn't* be (except
to close this article) but for those that aren't too self-absorbed,
perhaps a look at how we got here would be help.

They (STH) did have a chance to move last summer.  Some of them probably
thought the students wouldn't show up, and if students did it would be
short-lived.  Many of them were just used to where they were.  They must
have liked it, for they paid over $200 per seat per year over the course
of many years for most.  They spent 12-20 evenings a year in close
proximity to acquaintances with which they shared a passion.  Call it
denial, but they probably didn't want to lose that part of their lives.
They don't have a right to keep their new neighbors quiet;  they do have
a right to expect them to be civil.  At a hockey game, loud is civil!

If the 2nd period of Saturday's game was any indication, those STH
complaining about loud (if that's the case), wouldn't have been happy
any place in the arena!  So what.  Don't worry about them.  Show up and
have a good, loud time.  If they can't adjust to the NEW *loud* Alfond,
that's too bad (for them).

On the other hand, we're a society of rules and expectations.  Please
allow me to quote from the "1999 NCAA Ice Hockey Rules and
Interpretations" Crowd-Control Statement:

   The NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Rules Committee recommends that all member
   institutions that host intercollegiate ice hockey read the following
   statement before each game:

   "The (name of college or university) and the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey
   Rules Committee promote good sportsmanship by student-athletes,
   coaches and spectators.  We request your cooperation by supporting
   the participants and officials in a positive manner.  Profanity,
   racial or sexist comments, or other intimidating actions directed at
   officials, student-athletes, coaches or team representatives shall
   not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the site and, if
   needed, additional disciplinary action."

Again, MathyM wrote, in part..
>                                               ...  season ticket
>holders should have their seats moved to a designated area where they
>would feel less intimidated by college kids and their school sprit...

I'll close by pointing out that most people want to use their own
judgment and make their own decisions without some person in authority
making it for them.

It's fairly easy for the authority when people are respectful of others,
but no one wins in a family squabble.  Rather than say STH "should have
their seats moved", perhaps we should suggest a letter from the ticket
office to balcony STH gently reminding the STH that alternate seating is
or might be available and how switch, if that's what they want to do.

OK, I can't close with that.  Did anyone notice the old fogies standing
and cheering themselves hoarse last weekend?  I'd say the band, band
location, Naked 5, team, Coach Walsh, and the cheering students all had
a great deal to do with it.  Maybe all hope is not lost for those
old fogey STH?  Maybe you just need to retrain them a bit after all.  :-)

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3