ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:13:48 -0500
Robert Thomas writes on the Maine Hockey web site ...
>Most Honored Opponent Award - #11 Marty Reasoner, Boston College and
>#18 Chris Drury, Boston #University. At the end of the season, at a
>meeting of the team, the senior captain of the team prepares a list of
>possible candidates and leads a discussion of the merits of each
>candidate. A secret ballot election is held to determine the
>recipient.

Since I've received such positive response from my recent article on
Hockey-L, I reproduce a version of it here for the ME-Hockey community:

I believe both Reasoner and Drury responded to FoMH.  Since I find
Drury's letter fascinating (and it appears not to be a private
communication), I reproduce his response here (any typo is mine).

Cheers to Chris Drury,
wayne   [log in to unmask]

Enc:(On Boston University, Hockey Office, stationary, faxed to U Maine)

April 18, 1998

Dear University of Maine Friends of Hockey,

I want to thank you for being named your most honored opponent. I wish I
could be with you tonight to thank you in person, but, as it turned out,
tonight is also our team banquet.

One of the things that I will remember the most about my B.U. career are
the games we played against Maine at Alfond Arena. What made those games
so memorable were you fans, and how loud and supportive you were of
Maine.

That's one of the reasons receiving this honor from you tonight is so
special to me. Knowing how hard you rooted for Maine, and how hard you
rooted against us, and you're still honoring me this award tonight,
shows just how much sportsmanship there is in college hockey.

Again, that you for this great honor.

Sincerely,

Chris Drury