EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 13:39:30 -0700
At 11:46 AM 19/05/01 -0400, bob scheetz wrote:
> i put it to you, as a
>modest, serious, and humanely scrupulous  person,  is anti-semitism
>groundless?

Er, it is quite possible to be seriously irritated not just at
the current Israeli government but at many of that nation's
policies back to its foundation, and at the same time
sympathetic to the sufferings of the Palestinians, without
dipping into anti-Semitism.  Since on this list, if any, pedantry
is forgivable, it ought to be pointed out that most people
between the Nile and the Euphrates are arguably "semitic" per
anthropological jargon.

While pedantry may be forgivable, scheetz' remarks above are
not.  For those of you who don't know, most modern email software
comes with a convenient feature which allows you to silently
suppress input from anyone; the above semiliterate historical
ignorance is a good example of when to use this, so I just did.
Bye, bob.

I suppose, given that EP was beyond all doubt a great poet but
also pretty clearly an idiot in many of his beliefs, we can
expect the list to include representation from fools.

But we don't have to read them if we don't want to.  Ethical
issues aside, we're all busy and life's too short.  Bye, bob.

Cheers, Tim