From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 10:30:00 PST
This makes an interesting discussion beyond the numbers.
Two game series aren't as common now in the CCHA as they used to be.
I can remember covering Wisconsin and Notre Dame, when they were in the
WCHA, and the "psychology" of the two-game series was always a favorite
topic of discussion.
And sorry, but I don't think we ever truly answered it!
One thing I've found however: When you're dealing with a truly elite program
(not just a good team), and that team loses the first game of the series,
even to another elite program, it will more than likely earn the split.
The thing that truly distinguishes a great program is not how much it enjoys
winning (who doesn't!), but how much it truly HATES losing.
I don't think Ara Parseghian, when he coached at Notre Dame, lost two
straight games more than once or twice in his 11 years of coaching.
So, if anyone gets into breaking down stats, I bet they'll show that elite
programs (i.e., CC the past three years, Minnesota, Wisconsin until last
year, Michigan this past decade, MSU, Lake Superior State) usually win the
second night after a loss.
Steve Klein
FOB (Friend of Barkan)
 ----------
        A co-worker and I were discussing the uniqueness of the 2-game
        weekend series in college hockey, and he posed and interesting
        question:
        How many times does one team sweep both games?
        I said that I thought it was probably more often the exception
        than the rule, since Friday's loser probably came back with
        some "payback" in mind.
        Does anyone have this type of info available?  I would be
        especially interested in knowing the home and visitor's
        percentages in this type of situation.
        Karl