From:
"NWLB (E-Ticket)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 22:18:29 -0500
I agree.  When I first got on this list, I did not know who was on this
list.  I first found out about it via the ISCA BBS service out of U of
Iowa.  ISCA was a student run operation and the people on it were college
students with a few exceptions.  Hence I took the same tone and approach
towards Hockey-L that I did to ISCA.  Needless to say I was at the time
unaware of the more mature nature of this list, and in particular the
serious attitude people took towards it.  As I became aware of that, and
quit posting at 2:30 A.M. following a game, I settled down.  As a new
comer to the game I never pretended to be an expert on what I was
seeing.  Over the last four and one half years I have been watching BGSU
hockey I have picked up a considerable amount of knowlege. Though I
still lack the ability to pick through a game, or whats happening on the
ice in depth, which is to say I have a feel for what is or is not happening,
but lack the experience to put a proper name to it, or to break it down
like a coach or comentator, I do see and understand most of what is going
on out there.

I have expressed my views, in what terms I can think best describes them,
as best as I know how.  That is to say I call it like I see it as a fan.
Like most of the people I see post on this list, my view is just that: Of
a fan.  Not a coach, 20 observer, comentator, or professional, whoes
views frankly come from a different perspective and with other concerns
and mandates than those of a fan.

I have however learned that some people seem to take things said here in
the same context and same way as if I-or others-were getting on a radio
show and proclaiming ourselves bona-fide experts on hockey, and that we
knew it all.  At least that is the implication I read into the reactions
I've heard from some people, towards myself and others I know that post
here.  I don't underestimate how this list can pass word on across our
small world.  And I am fully aware of the scope of the people reading
this and any post sent to it.  But I think there are some people that
read to much signifigance into the posts here sometimes.  I think there
are people that overreact to somebody stateing his view, good or bad, by
lumping it into the same area as an actual sports writer or coach making
a comment.  Most disturbingly, there appear to be people that also take
views expressed here, however accurate or inaccurate-in their
view-relitive to their views and or experience, and label people based on
that.  That isn't worth posting here or anywhere.

I joined this list to add to my sincer desire to learn the game.  To
further my knowlege of what the heck was going on around me.  And I have
been able to do just that here, and through the fine web sites on the
net.  And that has greatly added to my love for the game.  This list is
where I learned about how deep the college hockey "culture" is, and how
much tradition there is out there.  I started out like a lot of students,
many of whom I am still sitting with in Section E.  And like them games
went from being just fun to go crazy at, to something WE appreciate.  And
that appreciation we have developed carries over to all levels of the
game.  The fans sitting along the glass in Section E now, are a far
cry-in many ways-from those that started sitting there four and five
seasons ago.  We love our hockey, because it is OUR hockey.

As fans, we express what we like, and what we don't like.  If we don't
understand why something is going on, we speculate, if we don't like the
way something is done in our program, or the results of our team or other
things surrounding it, than we bloody well say it.  Thats our right as
fans.  The fairness of our feelings as summed up in our comments, may be
subjective given ones relation to the program, or love for a team. And
indeed those counter views are the right of anyone to have.   A
fans comments, as seen everywhere in sports, from print, to radio talk
shows, to fan reaction in the stands varies.  Some of us state feelings
plainly and bluntly, others subtlely.  The degree of emotion and the
zealousness of the statements varies.  Some can be harsh and blunt.
Occasionally overzealous in their tone.  Others can be overly optimistic
and sugar coated.  I've made a few of all the above myself.  But in all
cases these comments are, and should be taken in the context of, a fan
unless otherwise noted as being otherwise.  And unless otherwise noted
they should never be taken personally.

Finally, as in life: DON"T ASSUME.  Don't assume you know the full
story.  Don't assume you are aware of everything surrounding a persons
comments.  Don't assume a person is attacking you, your team, or trying
to kick your dog.  Don't assume that person is right.  Don't assume you
are right.

If you don't know, ask.  If something seems overly harsh, ask
why the comment was made as stated.  Ask if the heat of the moment had a
bearing on a comment.  Ask if the comment was intended as YOU think it
was.  Make sure you are certain you understand why somebody said something
before you fire a comment that might hurt
somebody's feelings.  Before you make comments to others and label a
person by name as being something they may not be, make sure you
know what that person is like or about, and not simply via email.  Befor
you call somebody the village idiot for saying
something, make sure the village doesn't agree with him.

Salt is cheap, you won't go broke by takeing a few grains of it with
comments you hear.  Take them for what they are worth and learn something
from them.

NWLB