From:
Wallace Gobetz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wallace Gobetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:50:08 -0400
>>>BU will not only survive, but they will dominate and separate themselves
>>>from the pack in definitely a larger fashion than the close race last
>>>year. Their domination will not be due to the fact that they're a
>>>better team than last year, but more so to a decline in the power of
>>>Lowell and Maine.

I wish that I could agree with Paul's brash statements.  Granted the
Hockey East is a lot weaker (Lowell and Maine in particular), but the
Terriers just dont make me feel as confident as I would like.  Especially
with the up and coming Eagles (who, as the count my blessings messages
go, are only a free outbound T-ride on the Green Line away!) in Chestnut
eager to contend.

BC, behind my pre-season All-Hockey East goalie pick, Taylor, seem ready
to give the Ice Dogs of BU a scare.  The maturing stellar freshman class
of a year ago is now older, more experienced and I'm sure more potent.
Marty Reasoner may just be the best player in the Hockey East this year.

BU is still a very strong team.  However, they wer hurt more than BC by
the loss of seniors (Pandolfo, Wood, Lachance) and their top two juniors
aren't returning for their senior seasons (Grier and O'Sullivan).  They
are suspect at defense, and not real deep.  Big junior defensemen Chris
Kelleher (6'2", 221) and Jeff Kealty (6'4", 201) are going to have to
step it up this season.  Both should flashes of brilliance last year, but
are going to have to prove steady and productive over the entire season.
If that becomes the case, add them to senior standout defensemen Jon
Coleman and you have three excellent backline players.  Beyond that,
though they are fairly weak on defense.

They should have the normal BU scoring punch.  Returning Hobey Baker
candidate Chris Drury (he of Little League World Series fame) is one of the
best finishers on the collegiate level.  Returning senior standout Shawn
Bates should anchor the team.  He is a flashy, lighting-quick skater, but
has demonstrated problems finishing and putting the puck in the net at
times.  Otherwise, they will have to rely on unproven talent.  Both
sophomores Albie O'Connel and Brendan Walsh have demonstrated talent, but
need more ice time to prove it.  Juniors John Hynes and Mike Sylvia are
solid, but nothing to write home about.  Seniors Bill Pierce and Matt
Wright will also have to step it up a notch.  Scoring will also fall on
the heavy shoulders on the two incoming freshman, Tom Poti and Dan Lacouture.

In the net, they are steady, yet unspectacular.  Junior Tom Noble should
get the nod in big games  and has performed.  Sophomore Michel Laroque is
good enough to create some goalie controversy, but not good enough to
ride to a championship.

Do I think BU will be a good team this year?  Yes.  Do I think they will
win the Hockey East and earn yet another NCAA berth?  Yes.  Do I think it
will be easy?  No.  I expect strong competition, especially from BC
(maybe they'll even make the Beanpot competitive this year).  Hopefully,
from a BU perspective, my doubts are just cynicism and not reality, but I
dont think so.  Any opinions?

My HE predictions:
1- BU
2- BC
3- Lowell
4- Merrimack
5- Maine
6- Providence
7- Northeastern
8- New Hampshire
9- Amherst

Anyone else have pre-season predictions?  What about a pre-season
All-Hockey East or All-America team?

          __  _-==-=_,-.
         `--'\ \   <___/. "I am logged on,
              \ \\   " /   therefore I am"
               >=\\_/`<
   ____       /= |  \_|/
 _'    `\   _/=== \___/
| Wally Gobetz                           [log in to unmask] |
|      http://www.cris.com/~Gobetz/index.htm           |
| CAUTION: PROPER USE OF THE BRAIN IS NOT ENDORSED BY  |
|  FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS NOR  HUGE CORPORATIONS INVOLVED |
|  IN SERIOUS FINANCIAL PROFIT FROM A BRAINWASHED AND  |
|  ENSLAVED POPULATION. MILD DISCOMFORT MAY OCCUR AS   |
|  CONFUSING INDEPENDENT THOUGHT CHALLENGES POPULAR    |
|  VIEWS AROUND THE WORLD!                             |