ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:25:37 -0400
July 2, 2004
GUY PERRON NAMED WOMEN’S ICE HOCKEY COACH AT MAINE
Perron served as interim coach of the women’s program the past two months.

ORONO, Maine – The University of Maine has named Guy Perron as the new
head women’s ice hockey coach. Perron, a 1990 graduate of the University
of Maine, served as a volunteer assistant with the Black Bear men’s
program last season and was instrumental in leading Maine to a berth in
the national championship game. He also served as interim coach of the
women’s program the past two months.

“We are pleased to named Guy Perron as our women’s ice hockey coach,” said
Patrick Nero. “He brings a wealth of experience to the position that will
be of great benefit to our student-athletes.”

Perron has strong ties to the University of Maine as both a
student-athlete and as a coach and has been successful in both. He
returned to Maine last fall after serving as captain of the Black Bears in
1988–89 and 1989–90. He was also an assistant coach at Maine in 1991–92
and 1994–95.

“I am extremely excited about being named women’s ice hockey coach,” said
Perron. “This is a great opportunity for myself and the women’s ice hockey
program. We have a lot of challenges, but I am eager to get in and
continue building the tradition of Maine hockey. I am thankful for being
chosen to lead the program to the next level of success.”

Perron was a four-year letterwinner with the Black Bears. He played in 136
career games, scoring 62 goals and adding 84 assists for 146 career
points. He left Maine ranked ninth on both the school’s career goals and
career assists lists and seventh in career points. In his first season,
Perron helped lead the Black Bears to their first of four consecutive
trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Prior to his return to Maine a year ago, Perron coached the Chicago Freeze
of the North American Hockey League where he was head coach from 1997
through 2003. He compiled a record of 167-150-19 with the Freeze, while
leading them to the playoffs in each of his six seasons behind the bench.

Before coaching the Chicago Freeze, Perron served as an assistant coach at
Dartmouth College from 1995 through 1997. He also coached at Bangor High
School from 1992–1994 where he compiled a record of 20-21 in two seasons.
In his rookie season, he was named Class A Coach of the Year after leading
the Rams to the state playoffs. After graduation from Maine, Perron played
professionally in Sweden at the Division I level before returning to the
United States to accept a position at Maine.

Perron and his wife, Renee, reside in Bangor with their daughter Grace and
son Jack. Perron becomes the second head coach of the women’s program
which became a Division I sport in 1998. The Black Bears finished the
2003–04 season with a record of 12-16-4 and lost to eventual champion
Providence in the Hockey East semifinals.