ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 15:54:58 -0400
The upcoming completion of the Shawn Walsh Center at Alfond provides an
interesting counterpoint to a part of the story I referenced below.  I truly
hope there is not the "disconnect" the article seems to describe between
what I would term the "founder" squads from Maine Hockey history and those
of the "Walsh" era.

Regular readers of my posts know I often make comparisons back to what I saw
in the older days, having been there myself at Game 1 and on, when the
competition indeed was the Salem States, Middleburys and Bridgewaters etc.

If some in the "founder" classes feel the present Maine program cares little
about their contribution to the program overall, then anyone in the current
Program who acted in a way to make these "founders" feel pushed into the
shadows, ought to recognize the damage they have done on many levels.

Their contributions are as important today as they were then.  The Alfond
mystique that attracts many today, to watch or play the game at a lonely
outpost at one end of the collegiate hockey map, was built by the "founders"
and no doubt contributed in some way to Shawn Walsh's own decision to come
to Orono, and how he attracted players in his early coaching career.  True,
he writ large his own signature on the program at an early stage, but the
"founders" established a solid foundation upon which Coach Walsh could
build.  He didn't "re-" build, he added on...

Yep, Jack Semler is no Shawn Walsh...but neither is Tim Whitehead.  Anyone
who disparages those from the Semler era with negative comparisons to Shawn
Walsh might as well disparage those associated with the current program also.

The program needs to remember the early days and be inclusive of all in the
open arms of the Maine Hockey community; who knows, in the future tjere
might be a need to ask for some contribution one these men might provide,
and find the reception to be cold as one gets standing outside the Alfond
doors on a sub-zero mid-February night.

Good people today, indeed, ought not to forget.

Dan (saw Game 1)

From the story, I quote:

John Tortorella doesn't return to Maine for the alumni functions Shawn Walsh
worked hard to organize. In fact, said Jim, very few of the men from the
Semler years return.

"At Colby, we want every one of our players to understand where this program
has come from," he said. "Nothing against Shawn or Tim Whitehead, but I
think (Maine) has forgotten where they come from."

Jim is one of the few from his years at Maine to attend the hockey alumni
events, such as the annual golf tournament. He said he feels a little out of
place. He can't speak for how his brother feels.

There are no bad guys to this oversight. Just good people who forgot.