ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 13:26:48 -0400
Dave Nonis named General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks, NHL

quoted from canoe.ca below:

Nonis new Canucks GM

 VANCOUVER (CP) -- As a kid growing up near the old Pacific Coliseum where
the Vancouver Canucks used to play, Dave Nonis dreamed of being a member of
the NHL team.

 But Nonis admitted he struggled with the decision this week when Canuck
owners asked him take over the job of general manager from Brian Burke.

 "I spent the last couple of nights with Brian," Nonis told a news
conference at GM Place Thursday where he was officially introduced as the
Canucks ninth general manager.

 "The person who was most positive was Brian. Without his blessings I
couldn't have gone forward with it.

 "I am very excited about it. It's not the way you envision things
happenings. But that's part of the business and we're going to do a very
good job here."

 Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, who own the Canucks, announced Monday
they were not renewing Burke's contract.

 Nonis had to stop and collect himself several times when talking about
Burke. He was on the verge of tears when he thanked Burke, who didn't attend
the announcement, "for the opportunity he gave me and the friendship he's
shown me."

 Nonis, 37, spent the last six seasons working with Burke as Vancouver's
senior vice president and director of hockey operations. He negotiated the
player contracts, helped design the budget that transformed the Canucks into
a profitable franchise, and understands the collective bargaining agreement.

 Nonis also spent time working with Burke at the NHL's head office in New
York, where he was part of the committee that negotiated the collective
bargaining agreement with the players and was involved in salary arbitration.

 While he was Burke's protege and friend, Nonis has his own ideas on how the
team should be run.

 "I'm my own person," said Nonis, who has an MBA from the University of Maine.

 "I'm going to make sure I'm going to do the things that I think are right.
It's not about trying to live in someone else's shadow. I'm going to go
forward. We're not looking to tread water. We're looking to improve."

 Along with Nonis, Steve Tambellini has been appointed vice-president and
assistant general manager. Tambellini formerly held the title of
vice-president of player personnel.

 Dave Cobb will continue in his role as chief operating officer. He will
assume some of the duties as president which Burke performed but will not
have the title of president.

 Associate coaches Jack McIlhargey and Mike Johnston have also agreed to
three-year contract extensions. Head coach Marc Crawford had already had his
contract extended three years.

 One of the most asked questions around Vancouver this week is why was
Burke's contract not renewed.

 Stan McCammon, president and chief executive officer for Orca Bay, still
wouldn't give a definitive answer. He refused comment when asked to explain
the difference between Burke and Nonis.

 "I'm not going to compare the two," said McCammon.

 "They are both very capable people, both in terms of their hockey skills
and their people skills."

 Canuck captain Markus Naslund said "it's disappointing" Burke was let go
but didn't want to speculate on why.

 "I don't have the answers for that and I'm not going to get involved in
commenting," said Naslund.

 Crawford said he's glad the decision to hire Nonis was made quickly. He
also said he didn't want the general manager's job.

 The Canucks won the Northwest Division title this season with a 43-24-20-5
record but lost to the Calgary Flames in the first round of the playoffs.

 With Burke as general manager Vancouver made the playoffs the last four
years but advanced past the first round just once.

 At the end of the season, Burke said it may be time to change the core of
the team. Nonis agreed.

 "I would expect there will be some changes," said Nonis.

 "Our goal is to improve the team so we have a better record in the post
season."

 Nonis also must petition the NHL to re-instate Todd Bertuzzi, who was
suspended after attacking Colorado's Steve Moore in a March 8 game. Bertuzzi
could also face criminal charges from the incident.

 A Vancouver native, Nonis joined the Canucks in 1990s initially working on
corporate contracts, computer scouting and team services.

 He was a defenceman for the Burnaby Blackhawks of the B.C. Junior Hockey
League from 1982 to 1984 before attending the University of Maine, where he
was captain for two seasons and graduated in 1988.

 Nonis played one season professionally in Denmark, then returned to Maine
in 1989 to serve as a graduate assistant coach to head coach Shawn Walsh