ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 13:54:45 -0500
Some thoughts prior to Thursday...indulge me please

Coach should try and get a copy of "Miracle" and show it to the boys on the
bus ride down.  Any hockey player that sees that movie and wouldn't want to
skate through brick walls after the showing must have serious motivation
problems and ought not to play.

On to the game itself. Given the past contests with BC, and the aftermath of
the Regionals, here are my thoughts on points for the next game.

1.  Playing from behind will not work well.

Maine needs to score the first goal.

2.  Pressure Matti - take shots whenever possible.

Do not look for the cute pass and stand around.  Kaltianen can let in some
real softies, but won't if Maine is just playing pass-o

Also, spinning off my first point..if Maine DOES score first, they can't
retreat into defensive mode.  Take the game to BC...Herb Brooks' way to beat
the Russkies works well against any fast skating team.  They can't beat your
goalie if you're in the process of outskating the rest of the team and
attacking the other net.  Double-shift Jackson if you have to, Coach.

3.  Win more faceoffs than you lose.

It will not be helpful to lose these battles as they did to Wisconsin 46-34
and leave someone in as they did with Jankus to take draws in the third
period of that game, who only won 6 of 18 draws.  and change who takes the
draw when someone is tending to lose draws late in the game.

Coach has to know someone late in the game who has the hot hand on the draw
and put them in for faceoffs.  Pull your faceoff guy for another skater
right away if you have to (we are NOT home team and earn last exchange on
substitutions against BC, btw) but losing faceoffs as often as against
Wisconsin will NOT help.  Didn't anyone else except me and Lindsay notice
that ?  Does someone keep faceoff stats for Maine during the game and report
the results to the bench ?

4.  Use the depth of the Maine bench as a weapon.

Jerry York has a tendency to shorten his bench late in close games.  Maine
can gain tremendous advantage as they have had throughout the Tournaments
this year by throwing a fresh fourth line against tired opponents.  Our
fourth line scoring meant victory in a couple of contests late this year,
and could very well do the same in the next contest.

These are the things I noticed.  Needless to say, more things are in play
when Maine takes its measure against BC and plans for Thursday.  Coach no
doubt has used the long layoff to put plans in place for the next TWO games.

Finally, I'm open to a big argument, but it would be VERY difficult for me
to support BC should they prevail against Maine.

GO BLUE

Dan