ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 00:26:03 -0500
I have plenty of work to do, and it is pushing midnight but I wanted to get
some thoughts down for discussion about the appeal decision today.

First, let me say that I'm glad it is over.  This whole process began in
October of 1993 (I believe) when the first issues began to arise involving
NCAA rules violations and ineligible players at Maine.

Today is February 13, 1997 and it wasn't until then when this chapter even
started to close.  That's a very long three and a half years.  I often
wonder what Maine will be like without something hanging over their heads?
The 1993 title seems like it happened decades ago, and even Dan
Shermerhorn's triple-overtime goal in 1995 sometimes looks fuzzy.

The NCAA rejected Maine's appeal, and looking at the rationale for rejecting
it I am unclear why it took so long.

The NCAA accepted Maine's argument that the university had done an
outstanding job at rectifying problems.  The NCAA cited Maine's
self-reporting, and their cleaning up of their compliance system as two
areas of great improvement.

The NCAA also touted a high level of cooperation between the university, its
players and investigators.  Something, apparently, that is uncommon.

There are troubling aspects to the NCAA's decision as well.  In July, when
the NCAA announced their findings they found that Walsh had been sufficently
punished for his role in NCAA violations.  Today's decision seems to suggest
something else.

To paraphrase the NCAA ruling they said that Maine's high level of
cooperation and the great steps they took to correct problems, is offset by
the conduct of Shawn Walsh both before and during the investigation.

That apparently is the meat of things.  Maine's appeal failed because of
Walsh, therefore one could read further into things and suggest that the
whole second year of postseason banishment is due to Walsh.

The NCAA went to great lengths to tout UMaine, and if that is offset by
Walsh then the NCAA certainly takes what happened very seriously, as well
they should.

So the question becomes, what is better, Shawn Walsh as coach and an extra
year of banishment or postseason and no Shawn Walsh?  Each person will have
to debate that for themselves.

I ask again, if this is the rationale why did it take so long?

Walsh said himself that "at no time did I think we would win" the appeal.  I
agreed with him from the start.  What Maine did might not put them on the
same level as other institutions, but you can't ignore what did happen.
Maine had 10-years of violations and made mistakes.

Someone has to pay for those mistakes.

In this case, it is both Walsh and the players.  Dan Shermerhorn, for
instance, has had four years at Maine -- all winning seasons (minus
forfeits).  But he went to one NCAA Tournament and almost won it.  Is it
fair to Dan Shermerhorn that he has to pay the price for the misgivings of
those people before him?

Certainly not, but that is how the NCAA works.

Walsh served his penalty, a one-year suspension.  Let's not forget that when
Walsh left for his suspension he vowed to see it through and he vowed to
keep quiet till it was time to come back.

He kept his promise, he did come back, he did keep quiet.  He also vowed to
return Maine to national prominence, and that will be decided in years to come.
Walsh has a contract expiring after this year.  Maine did their part to keep
him available, now they've got to keep him here because they've given up far
to much to simply let him go.

One could argue that they should have let him go from the start.  But give
Sue Tyler credit.  She supported him from Day one and did not waiver at any
point.  Even if you disagree with her you have to appreciate her loyalty,
especially when you consider she came from the outside and would have been
real easy to just fire Walsh.

Is it over?

To a large degree it is.  March 1 Maine will end their season at home, and
perhaps the fans will even turn out to send these gallant seniors off with a
bang.  The players, many of whom have spring break plans, will get to enjoy
"normal student life" for once in March.  To some degree I'm sure some are
looking forward to that, especially after all that's happened.

Maine's also got a promising recruiting class already for next year, and
with the core of the team returning, Maine is in a good position to make a
run at an NCAA Tournament berth next season.  It should be an exciting
season for the fans and players alike as they'll both have something to look
forward to.

But I'm unsettled at what the NCAA said today.  They choose their words
carefully, and their candor was interesting.  To some degree the NCAA picked
a fall guy, and it was Shawn Walsh.  This isn't going to make getting past
all that has happened any easier, and will only serve to give Walsh's
detractors more fuel.  To his credit, Walsh has moved beyond this and until
today the issue had almost gone away.

I expect to see a Joe McLaughlin column on Saturday though.

Time heals all wounds, and so it will be with Maine as well.  Maine will
remain under NCAA probation for the next three years, meaning that Walsh et
al will have the NCAA looking over them closely.  There is no room for
errors, and we will all learn a lot.  If someone messes up, they will be
caught, no question about that.  But if Maine has success, there is
something to be said about that as well.

Maine is a proud program.  They have taken a beating over the past three
years, but when you step back and look at things they have come out
remarkably well.  They are set up for a good season next year, despite the
fact they'll be short five scholarships.  When you look at all they've been
through and the fact they are still getting qualty players, it speaks
volumes about the work that has been done and what the future holds.

I'm sure we are all relieved to some degree to have this all over finally.
There are no more steps, nothing more hanging over our heads.  Hopefully the
focus can finally shift back to the ice where it belongs.

And as Walsh said, Maine's playoffs begin Friday night in Amherst.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])